Author Topic: Tier 1 signings (discussion)  (Read 13098 times)

Robb

Tier 1 signings (discussion)
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2007 10:39:00 AM »
The funny thing is - after Dunn's contract expires, Rolen will STILL have another year on his contract.

That's not a knock on the Brewers - it's just a reminder of how insanely long Rolen's contract was when it was handed out to him....what, 4 years ago?  I think it was an 11 year deal.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2007 10:42:01 AM »
the funny thing is, at the current rate of salary inflation it's possible that Rolen might actually be worth his annual salary before the contract is over :)

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2007 10:47:13 AM »
Since Scot probably won't toot his own horn, I'll toot it a little bit for him.  Here's a post that he made on Jan. 4:

Quote from: "Scot"
Some AL teams have been beefing up recently in trades, but when all is said and done I expect the talent balance will be pretty even (or possibly even tilted to the NL). I expect most of the big name FAs to end up in the NL - the average AL team has less than $20M payroll room, while the average NL team is up around $28M. 5 teams have $40M or more to spend, and 4 of them are in the NL. 10 teams have $30M+, and 7 of them are in the NL. The NL West is set to go on a spending spree of epic proportions. I'm glad I only have a few holes to fill with role players - the top-notch FAs are going to be hugely expensive, I think.

Scot.
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Brian (Mets)

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2007 12:07:42 PM »
hey Darren, does this mean you're not interested in ichiro anymore?

:lol:

nice haul you just had.

Athletics GAT

• G. Alex Tays
  • Financial Model Working Group
  • All-Star
  • I've got a bad case of the yips.
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2007 1:31:29 PM »
Althought neither player involved figures to make an impact, I think the Orioles just made a fantastic trade by dumping Ambiorix Burgos ($4.25M thru 2014) in exchange for flushing $7M just this season on Matt Lawton.

jim(d-rays)

« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2007 1:43:27 PM »
I wasn't entirely enthused about the trade, but it cleared up money this year, Burgos is a met which I think will give him time to develop, especially if peterson can work his magic (unlike with say victor zambrano)
He's wild but he also playing in the majors at 22 years old which is a sign of someone that is thought of highly.

I have an affinity for players that leave crappy (kc) organizations to a good organization(mess) (in real life) I have to have two starting pitchers, I don't even have 4 starters on my roster so I needed money badly for this season.

I have to cross my fingers and hope he has a good real life season this year.

and I agree with dj, that there is a good chance with todays market that rolens contract may not be the albatross it appears by the time it ends.

Orioles TK

• Tracy Kienast
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2007 1:43:40 PM »
Thank you,

I still think Burgos can turn into a good reliever, but I wanted the flexibility financially.  I was willing to eat the extra cash this year to give me room next year(that I will need to keep J Bay from becoming a FA).  By 09' I think Burgos will be worth the annual salary, just didn't want to wait and keep eating his 4.25 mil.

Tracy
AL Wildcard 2003, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2018
AL East Champion 2008, 2009
WS Champ 2018

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2007 8:52:28 AM »
Giles is definately a solid signing.  While the power is gone, he still gets on base very well, and seems to have the potential to put up big numbers.  6.5mil is a good deal in my eyes!
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2007 11:02:11 AM »
Giles was also the closest bidding we've had so far, with the Braves outbidding the Reds by only 2% contract valuation.
-Bruce (Giants)

Braves GM

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2007 11:03:54 AM »
Wow.  I didn't really think I would get Giles for that price, but I'm not going to complain.  The Braves have an overflow in RF.  I guess I'll have to move Sheffield to 1B and Abreu to CF.  I can't think of a better way to make my bad pitching staff any worse!  :)

Pat

Athletics GAT

• G. Alex Tays
  • Financial Model Working Group
  • All-Star
  • I've got a bad case of the yips.
« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2007 11:07:54 AM »
Well...at least they'll get good run support!

Giles
Sheffield
Abreu
Lowell
Burrell

With a couple of spare parts, that lineup is going to score many runs.

Reds MM (Ret)

• Mark McKinniss
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2007 11:08:13 AM »
An extra $150K guaranteed money to Giles, and he'd be in Cincy this morning...

Ouch.

I agree that the price is very nice on Giles--maybe the last year of the contract will be undesirable, but Giles seems to be aging fairly well.  There will be plenty of worse players who get much richer contracts this off-season...

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2007 11:52:15 AM »
Argh... the Royals actually weren't terribly far off at 5.5 2yr y/o...  at the end of FA, we're probabaly going to wish we went the extra mile.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Braves GM

« Reply #28 on: 1 Feb 2007 12:56:41 PM »
Quote from: "sabers35"
Well...at least they'll get good run support!

Giles
Sheffield
Abreu
Lowell
Burrell

With a couple of spare parts, that lineup is going to score many runs.

Jeter has already been put on notice.  If he doesn't lead the league in runs scored this season, he's fired!

Pat

jim(d-rays)

« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2007 2:25:59 PM »
I originally had giles atr 6.7mil for three years and then decided that it was too close of an offer that I might end up with him and changed my bid...now I'm kinda wishing that I didn't