Author Topic: Week 26, Wednesday  (Read 1651 times)

Robb

Week 26, Wednesday
« on: 28 Sep 2004 8:41:36 PM »
DMBO Season Three, Week 26

Wednesday

American League

Toronto Blue Jays at Baltimore Orioles

Baltimore took an early lead, scoring a run in each of the 2nd and 3rd innings.  Toronto, however, managed to tie the score at 3 with a run in the 7th inning.  Derek Lowe was solid in 8 innings of work, giving up 3 earned runs and striking out 7.  Handing it over to the bullpen, however, proved disastrous.  Parrish and Julio allowed a combined 4 walks, 3 singles, and an error, giving the Jays a 6 run 9th.  That was all Witasick needed to give the Blue Jays their 3rd straight win.  Unfortunately, Bill Mueller was injured in the 5th inning and will be out for the next 3 weeks.  Blue Jays 9, Orioles 3.

Chicago White Sox at Detroit Tigers

The Sox are still playing with an eye on the #1 seed in the AL.  Wednesday saw them doing their part, scoring 6 runs on 14 hits and helping Jon Garland get his 16th win of the season.  White Sox 6, Tigers 1.

Cleveland Indians at Kansas City Royals

Cleveland scored a run in the 1st, 3 more in the 2nd, and never looked back.  When the dust cleared, the Indians were celebrating something that seemed improbable a few weeks ago as they clinched the Wild Card.  Bartolo Colon picked up his 21st win of the season.  Indians 9, Royals 2.

Seattle Mariners at Oakland Athletics

Oakland kept pace with the Blue Jays with Bernie Williams hitting his 27th home run of the year, Manny Ramirez his 41st.  As 6, Mariners 5.

American League Playoff Seedings

Toronto Blue Jays         98-60  (Blue Jays have tie breaker over As)
Oakland Athletics         98-60
Chicago White Sox         95-63      3 games back
Cleveland Indians         90-69

Eliminated from Playoffs

Baltimore Orioles

National League

San Francisco Giants at San Diego Padres

This is the last bit of drama in the NL.  San Francisco took a 3 run lead in the 2nd inning, thanks in part to a 2 run homer by Jeremy Giambi.  San Diego scored a run in the bottom of the 5th, but never got any closer as the Giants clinched the NL West.  Giants 8, Padres 1.

National League Playoff Picture (Final)

San Francisco Giants at St. Louis Cardinals
Houston Astros at New York Mets

Eliminated from the Playoffs

San Diego Padres

Robb

Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2004 8:48:50 PM »
With the NL races clinched, I need for the Giants and the Padres to send in any desired lineup changes if they wish so I can finish up the NL season.

Similarly, the Indians can do the same.

The only thing unkown is the playoff seeding in the AL.  If the Jays, A's, and White Sox want to play it out day by day until each is eliminated, that is fine.  However, if you all want, I can simply sim the rest if you give me the word.  Either way is fine with me.

If I hear from the Padres, Giants, Indians, White Sox, A's, and Blue Jays tonight with the go-ahead, I'll finish up the season.  Otherwise, we'll get it wrapped up over the next few days.

Anonymous

Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2004 12:12:26 AM »
i sent in moves, hopefully it's good enough

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2004 8:36:07 AM »
Robb,

the only change I'm going to make is to put Neagle in Claussen's spot in the rotation. Apart from that, I'm good to let it go for the rest of the week.

Mueller out 3 weeks. Ouch! That sucks.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Robb

Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2004 10:04:16 AM »
I think I've heard from everyone.  I'll run the rest of the season tonight, and send Tom the stats tomorrow (rather then sending them to him today and tomorrow both)

Orioles TK

• Tracy Kienast
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2004 11:12:09 AM »
Talk about a total collapse from the Orioles.

After starting August 14-5, the team went in the tank and since the beginning of the Oakland Series that started 8/23 the O's have gone 13-23.

Cleveland definitely played great down the stretch and deserves it but I feel like my O's gave the WC away this season.  The pitching staff and primarily the bullpen could not get it done this season.  I'm planning major changes to the staff.

Tracy
AL Wildcard 2003, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2018
AL East Champion 2008, 2009
WS Champ 2018

Phillies TP

• Tom Parker
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2004 11:33:47 AM »
Quote from: "Orioles GM"

I feel your pain.  After teasing me with a great run in late August, the Phils went 6-12 down the stretch to fall back into mediocrity.  I'm still not sure exactly what went wrong - my team hit, I got pretty good pitching, and still couldn't seem to get the victories when I needed 'em.  Once again, it's "wait till next year" time in Philly.   :(

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2004 11:56:38 AM »
Quote from: "Orioles GM"

After starting August 14-5, the team went in the tank and since the beginning of the Oakland Series that started 8/23 the O's have gone 13-23.

Cleveland definitely played great down the stretch and deserves it but I feel like my O's gave the WC away this season.  The pitching staff and primarily the bullpen could not get it done this season.  I'm planning major changes to the staff.

Tracy

Tracy.  I exchanged PM's with another GM last night, and here were my thoughts:

I thought my team was better than it had played the last couple of months, but I certainly didn't expect to win 11 of 12 down the stretch.

I guess you never know. I feel bad for the Orioles, because Tracy made some great moves to put himself in position to win. He deserves it every bit as much as I do. Oh well.......... I'm not complaining!

I would have never guessed your team play as poorly as they did.  I still think you did a great job....... you just couldn't get a break.
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Nationals JE

• Jason Eickemeyer
  • Financial Model Working Group
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Week 26, Wednesday
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2004 4:44:44 PM »
Speaking of collapse, my team had quite the disastrous finish.  I pin it all on the bullpen. The offense was remarkable, the starters overachieved, the bullpen... sucked.