Author Topic: LCS - Game 7  (Read 1397 times)

Robb

LCS - Game 7
« on: 18 Oct 2006 2:30:49 PM »
American League Championship Series

Game 7

After battling for 162 games of the regular season plus 6 games of the ALCS, the 2006 version of the rivalry between the Blue Jays and Orioles came down to a winner take call game in Toronto.  From a pitching match-up standpoint, this was a rematch of Game 3, where Glavine got the win (9 innings, 2 earned runs) and Lowry got the loss (5 innings, 4 earned runs.)

Neither team scored until the bottom of the 3rd inning.  In that frame, the Blue Jays got a 2 out double from LaForest, followed by an Iguchi home run to put Toronto up 2-0.  The Orioles came right back in the 4th, though, in an interesting fashion.  Miguel Tejada hit a 2 out single, then advance to third on a single by Aubrey Huff.  With Felipe Lopez on the mound, Huff took off for 2nd on the first pitch.  LaForest threw to 2nd, and Tejada immediately broke for the plate.  The throw to 2nd was too high for Glavine to cut off, and too wide to throw out Huff, so the end result was 2 stolen bases and a run for Baltimore.  The score was 2-1 heading to the bottom of the 4th.

The score stayed there until the bottom of the 6th inning, when J.D. Drew doubled for his 2nd hit of the game.  Lowry retired Jones and Konerko to bring up Pascucci with 2 outs.  Pascucci ripped a double to bring in Drew, giving the Blue Jays a 3-1 lead.

The Orioles looked to get back into the game in the 8th inning.  With 2 outs, Jay Bay hit a single, followed by an Ortiz walk.  With 2 on and 2 outs, Tejada lined out to 3rd base, just missing a double that may have tied the game.  

The took the game into the bottom of the 8th, with the heart of the Toronto lineup due to hit.  Drew singled and Jones walked to lead off the inning, chasing Lowry and bringing Hoffman into the game.  Konerko walked to load the bases, before Pascucci’s 2nd double of the game brought in 2 runs.  That was followed by a Cameron double, Uribe single, and Church double to bring in 3 more runs.  And Iguchi sacrifice fly drove in another, with Drew’s 2nd hit of the inning driving in the 7th and final run of the inning.  Needless to say, the crowd was going nuts.

Scott Shields, who retired the last batter of the 8th inning, came in to pitch the 9th for the Blue Jays.  He struck out Huff, got Lopez to pop out to short, and Laird to fly out to right to end the game.  Lowry took the loss, Glavine got the win, and Sheilds the save.  Final Score – Toronto 10, Baltimore 1

ALCS MVP

J.D. Drew (Tor) – .462 average, .563 OBP, .808 SLG, 1.370 OPS, 6 walks, and 12 hits, to lead all hitters.  Also scored 7, drove in 5, hit 3 doubles and 2 home runs.

Honorable Mention
Tadahito Iguchi (Tor) - .375 average, .433 OBP, .792 SLG, 1.225 OPS, 9 hits, 8 runs, 6 RBI, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 4 walks

Jayson Bay (Bal) - .391 average, .462 OBP, .565 SLG, 1.027 OPS, 9 hits, 5 runs

Tom Glavine (Tor) – 2-0, 1.62 ERA, 16.2 innings pitched, 1 complete game, .226 average allowed, .262 OBP allowed, .290 SLG allowed, .552 OPS allowed, 1.02 WHIP

National League Championship Series

Game 7

It was do or die time in St. Louis, with San Francisco looking to pull the upset.  They had their work cut out for them, though.  It was going to be hard enough playing in Busch stadium.  To top that off, Game 3 winner Tim Hudson, who only allowed 1 run over 8 innings, was starting for the Cardinals.  Zach Greinke, who allowed 6 runs and only recorded 2 outs in that same game, looked for redemption for the road team.

Brady Clark hit a triple to start the game, then scored on a Curtis Granderson sacrifice fly.  Hudson got two more fly balls to end the inning, but the Giants had the lead.  In the bottom of the 1st, the Cardinals loaded the bases with 2 outs and Mark Loretta at the plate, but Greinke got Loretta to pop out to first base to dodge the bullet.  Greinke walked the tight rope again in the 2nd inning, with Bonds coming to the plate with 2 outs and runners at 1st and 2nd.  But once again, he got out of the jam, getting Bonds to ground out to 3rd base to end the inning with no runs in.

Both pitchers kept the game close, with Greinke getting into and out of jams multiple times.  The Cardinals didn’t score on Greinke until the 6th inning, when Russ Branyan hit his 3rd home run of the series to tie the game.  The Cardinals had a chance to score in the 7th inning, with the score still tied at 1.  Miguel Montero reached on an error by Jeff Francoeur and nobody out.  Hudson and Walker both made outs, but Walker advanced Montero to 2nd base.  Bonds was intentionally walked for the 3rd time this series, bringing Albert Pujols to the plate.  The Giants pulled Grienke and brought in Vinnie Chulk to face Albert.  After putting the count at 3-0, Chulk finally got a pitch over the plate.  The following pitch was in the exact same location, but Pujols missed it, grounding out to 2nd base to end the inning.

Hudson went back to the mound in the 8th inning, after being allowed to hit in the bottom of the 7th.  The first batter he faced was Granderson, who hit a first pitch home run to right-center field, giving the Giants a late 2-1 lead.  Hudson got the next 3 batters out, but the damage was done.

The Cardinals rallied in the bottom of the 8th.  Grabow was in to pitch to the lefties, and he started off by retiring Edmonds.  Branyan lined a single, however, as did Loretta to put 2 on and 1 out.  Maicer Izturis hit into a force out, brining Miguel Montero to the plate with runners at 1st and 3rd with 2 outs.  On a 2-1 pitch, Montero lined out to the 1st baseman to end the inning.

Todd Williams relieved Hudson in the 9th inning.  Carlos Guillen led off the inning with a double.  With 1 out, Hall hit a single, and the Giants tried to score Guillen, but he was thrown out at the plate by Larry Walker.  The Cardinal fans got loud with the play, but pinch hitter Andy LaRoche hit a double to bring in Hall.  LaRoche was thrown out at 3rd, trying to stretch the double into a triple, but the score was now 3-1 San Francisco heading into the bottom of the 9th.

Matt Stairs hit a pinch single to lead off the inning, allowing Larry Walker to come to the plate representing the tying run.  Walker, still feeling the adrenaline from his assist, swung at a 1-1 pitch…and grounded into a double play with Bonds on deck.  The crowd, in stunned silence, watched in disbelief as Bonds grounded out to the shortstop to end the game.  Hudson took the loss, Chulk got the win, Grabow the hold, Turnbow the save, his 3rd of the series.  Final Score – San Francisco 3, St. Louis 1

NLCS MVP

Kevin Millwood (SF) – 2-0 with a 0.59 ERA over 15.1 innings, 13 strikeouts, .167 average allowed, .250 OBP allowed, .222 SLG allowed, .472 OPS allowed, 0.98 WHIP

Honorable Mention

Russ Branyan (STL) - .478 average, .500 OBP, 1.043, SLG, 1.543 OPS, 3 home runs, 4 doubles, 6 runs scored, 9 RBI, 11 hits.  Led all players in these categories other than OBP (Bonds, .588) and hits (Guillen, 12)  

Barry Bonds (STL) - .333 average, .588 OBP, .667 SLG, 1.255 OPS, 2 home runs, 5 runs scored, 6 RBI, 13 walks

Carlos Guillen (SF) - .429 average, .448 OBP, .643 SLG, 1.091 OPS, 12 hits, 5 RBI, 3 doubles, 1 home run, hit safely in all 7 games

Tim Hudson (STL) – 1-1 with a 1.69 ERA over 16 innings, 12 strikeouts, .224 average allowed, .246 OBP allowed, .379 SLG allowed, .625 OPS allowed, 0.94 WHIP

Giants Bullpen – 1-0 with 2 holds, 3 saves, 0 blown saves.  Held batters to a .169 average, .308 OBP, .258 SLG, .567 OPS.  Only allowed 4 earned runs over 25 innings (1.44 ERA), striking out 21.  Only allowed 3 out of 25 inherited base runners to score (12%).  Likely would have won the award had they not walked 18 batters.

Robb

LCS - Game 7
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2006 2:31:15 PM »
I'll get Bruce the files tonight.  Good luck to the remaining teams!

Robb

LCS - Game 7
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2006 2:39:31 PM »
Good series, Bruce.  Here are a couple of odd things.

Cardinal batters drew 38 walks (5.5 per game!).  Giant batters drew 9 walks.

Cardinal pitchers had 5 quality starts, compared to 4 for the Giants.  The difference is - the Giants won each game that they were given a quality start.

Your bullpen was awesome.  Stranding 22 inherited runners was definitely the difference in this series.

Orioles TK

• Tracy Kienast
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
LCS - Game 7
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2006 2:52:32 PM »
Congrats Scot!

We took the rivalry as far as we could...

Good Luck in the Series to both teams.  I'll of course be rooting for Scot and the AL East.

Tracy
AL Wildcard 2003, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2018
AL East Champion 2008, 2009
WS Champ 2018

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
LCS - Game 7
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2006 2:52:57 PM »
Hats off to the Jays and Giants!!  

Good luck, Scot & Bruce!
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
LCS - Game 7
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2006 3:23:46 PM »
Great series, Tracy. It doesn't get any closer than that. And for the second series in a row, I can't help but feel that the only reason I came out on top was because of a couple of key injuries to my opponent. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - just that my series wins were due to luck as much as anything.

Third AL banner in 4 years! Hopefully I'll manage to bring the World series trophy back to the AL. Time for me to seriously start scouting the Giants, I guess - best of luck, Bruce!

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
LCS - Game 7
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2006 3:30:09 PM »
Well, I'll be darned.  

Too bad, Robb, yours was clearly the better team, outpacing the Giants by 25 (!) games in the regular season in a tougher division, winning 5 of 6 from the Giants, and setting DMBO records all over the place.

The cliche is "anything can happen in a short series".  While it felt like the Giants' odds were minicsule, the log5 calculation said we had a 1 in 6 chance of taking the series, like rolling a 7 in craps.  Lucky, but not quite a miracle.  I'm still very surprised!

Meanwhile, the other series was great, too.  The Giants look forward to meeting the Jays!
-Bruce (Giants)

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
LCS - Game 7
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2006 3:40:55 PM »
Quote from: "Robb"
I'll get Bruce the files tonight.  Good luck to the remaining teams!

Robb, please add the world series schedule before you upload the files, if you haven't already.
-Bruce (Giants)

Robb

LCS - Game 7
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2006 3:42:48 PM »
They were both great series.

And yes, anything can happen in a short series.  I got plenty of guys on base, but couldn't bring them in.  My defense didn't help matters - they allowed 8 unearned runs over 7 games.  But, I'd been walking that tightrope all season - it finally bit me.

Bad defense and lack of timely hitting - Joe Morgan would have seen my demise from a mile away.

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
results posted
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2006 9:30:16 PM »
Stats and zip files from LCS have been uploaded.
-Bruce (Giants)

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
LCS - Game 7
« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2006 9:31:21 PM »
Looks as if we have one day off bewteen LCS game 7 and WS game 1.  Is that correct?
-Bruce (Giants)

Robb

LCS - Game 7
« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2006 9:37:35 PM »
Yes, that's correct.  (We always have one day off between the last game of each series, regardless of it's length.)