Author Topic: Cardinals 2021 post mortem  (Read 83 times)

Cardinals Bruce W

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Cardinals 2021 post mortem
« on: 5 Oct 2021 1:05:55 AM »
In my season preview, I said:

My goal this year is 85 wins, with an outside chance at wildcard contention. I think it will be very difficult to finish ahead of the Reds in the NL Central, but I hope to battle it out for 2nd place in the division, probably with the Pirates. But we never know until the games are played!

Well, that's pretty much how it played out. Ended up with 87 wins, one short of a wildcard, but a +17 game improvement over last year's team.

After what I inherited, I'm pleased the Cardinals ended up being a well-balanced team, finishing in the top 3 in the NL in most team offense and pitching categories. We were unlucky on the offense side, finishing 2nd in RC and OPS, but 7th in actual runs, and a couple games below our pythagorean run differential on top of that.

Three starters in the top 10 in the NL in ERA and a solid closer in Giles, but the weak points were middle relief and 5th starter (I guess that's not so unusual). Lost 10 games when leading after 7.

We will lose Bryce Harper and Jose Abreu to free agency, so will be looking for some new production in the FA market. The only pitcher we will lose to FA is Josh Lindblom, who had a poor year (7-13, 5.74) and will not be missed. Luis Patino will be ready to take his spot in the rotation next year.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2021 1:13:02 AM by Cardinals Bruce W »
-Bruce (Cardinals)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal