Author Topic: Survey: Roster Infraction/Penalties  (Read 222 times)

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Survey: Roster Infraction/Penalties
« on: 3 Feb 2019 9:32:47 AM »
As of this writing 60% of the league has responded to the survey question focused on whether or not the league's penalties for roster infractions were too lenient, too severe, or just right.  Currently, the majority of responses to any one of the five-tiered Lickert-type scale have selected moderately too lenient, with half, or nearly half that number selecting that the league either far too lenient to being in the fair range in it's current format.

Given the responses to the earlier question, this poll is targeted to better grasp the degree of intensity that should be available to the EC toward a GM who fails to react and comply with roster infractions for a second time during a season.

Please note that one of the available options is that none of the prior four choices is deemed acceptable.  For those of you who may choose this option, please explain whether or not you feel "all of the above" are collectively too punitive or too lenient, and certainly offer any other comments that may contribute to the decision-making process.

Red Sox KN

• Kris Neild
  • EC
  • All-Star
Re: Survey: Roster Infraction/Penalties
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2019 9:47:00 AM »
I’m assuming this is implied but, say a GM goes completely lax and gets a few penalties, whatever we decide they are. Then, they leave the league - I’m assuming the penalties don’t stick with the team right?

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2019 9:59:51 AM »
Kris,
That's a fair question and one that has not been fully hashed out by the EC.  I can only speak for myself, but my leaning would be to not expect a new GM to inherit the sins of his predecessor, but just in case my opinion is in the minority that's why my vote was for an option not including draft picks.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2019 12:04:37 PM »
I haven't voted because the fear of the EC fixing your roster should be enough or at least part of the solution.

Larry
D-Backs

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2019 1:04:10 PM »
Larry,
As noted in my reply above to Kris, I can only speak for myself but in my opinion each and every EC member has to be above reproach and self-serving actions.  If an EC member conducted himself in a manner less than that it would be a significant step toward the end of this league.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2019 2:58:03 PM »
I hope you didn't misunderstand me. Nothing was meant as disrespectful. I just feel that a GM who flaunted that he wasn't going to comply with a roster limit had to worry about who the EC was going to move to make him compliant would be less likely to ignore the roster limit.

Larry
Mets

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2019 4:14:52 PM »
Kris brings up a point that has been rolling around in my head for days...

Yes, as part of the EC, we need to make sure that the rules in place are followed... but we also, and more importantly need to ensure the survival of the league supersedes all of this. Hell, I hope in 30 years... our Boys will have franchises in DMBO.

With that being said... I do feel that the penalty needs to follow the owner, and NOT the franchise... we can't penalize a new owner with past indescetions...

Nor do we want to make the damages such that it forces the hand of a current owner to retire.
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Red Sox KN

• Kris Neild
  • EC
  • All-Star
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2019 4:26:14 PM »
John both of those points are what I was getting at. The penalties shouldn’t be akin to an NCAA “death penalty” because then folks will leave prematurely. They definitely shouldn’t be an albatross to a takeover GM  either. I think the EC needs to have the tools to do something if there is intent, but not have to drop the hammer on someone who just made a mistake or two.

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2019 4:33:53 PM »
Guys,
These are all good discussion points for us to include into the EC's conversation, or if so desired, to post into another survey question.  However, this poll is focused on getting a clearer idea of the league's preference for the second roster infraction penalty to be not as lenient as in the past.

I certainly don't want this to sound chastising, but "mission creap" or a wandering focus might be apt to slow us down.

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2019 4:44:33 PM »
I thinks Doug's wording of the above question is perfect, in which he states "without good cause".

That enables us to make a judgement call, but not after at least attempting to contact the offending owner to see what is going on. ( Hence first violation warning ).

I do believe that we need to hear from the owner, and then decide the next course of action, and have all the penalties that we feel are necessary at our disposal if there is repeated violations. I do NOT feel that this should be an absolute though ( I could be a minority in that).

I think the goal here should be to gather all of the acceptable punitive damages that CAN be levied upon a team...but I do not feel it should be set in stone that a team will automatically be assessed these penalties when they are committed. That I feel should be taken as a case by case basis, and left for the EC to decide after hearing from the owner.

Like somebody said... "Life happens"...

I, last year, had a roster violation because I set a DFA player to be compliant after a move, but then worked late and was unable to release that player on time before the sim... I didn't even realize it... stuff like that happens, all the time. I was warned and that was that...

But what happens if that happens again two months from now ?? Was I evading the rules ?? Of course not... I meant to get rid of the player, I just couldn't formally do it...

Do I then get a penalty ??

See what I mean ??

That's why i think that we need to come up with possible penalties, and not have them laid out in stone
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Mariners BW

• Bill Weismandel
  • EC
  • Cleanup Hitter
« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2019 10:14:03 AM »
Agree with many points made throughout this discussion...

To me, violations and the penalties attributed to them should be focused on habitual offenders during a season, GM's that have disappeared and unresponsive to EC communications, and least likely - a GM/Owner attempting to purposefully and willfully circumvent the league's official rules.

We don't want to "chase" current and future owners away from the league, and we definitely do not want to handicap a franchise for a new owner with penalties that hurts them and the future of their new team.  This is a fine line - penalties for repeat violations, but at the end of the day the EC needs to balance "real life" errors/mistakes with keeping competitive balance for the rest of the league.

Bill
General Manager
Seattle Mariners