Author Topic: Survey: Roster Infraction/Penalties  (Read 185 times)

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Survey: Roster Infraction/Penalties
« on: 30 Jan 2019 2:58:32 PM »
Among the issues under discussion by the EC is the violation of roster limitations, and while we have had some degree of agreement on some facets of that topic, but with other areas we have struggled a bit to find common ground. 

It has been suggested that all of DMBO’s GMs be polled on key topical points in order to provide a “pulse” of league from which the EC can make a more informed decision.  The survey will consist of a collection of prompts and questions, with this being the first of that series.

As a reminder, there are a couple of existing roster requirements (and I paraphrase):
•   All teams must maintain an active roster of 25 players, no more/no less (aside from September roster expansion allowances);
•   No team may have a number of players from the 25-man active roster and a reserve roster that when combined exceeds a total of 55 men (the new maximum number for 2019).

Failure to comply with those limits currently lists a tiered set of penalties:
•   First Instance-A warning will be sent to the General Manager.
•   Second Instance-A $1 million fine will be applied to the club account for the current season and a second warning will be sent to the General Manager.
•   Third Instance-A $2 million fine will be applied to the club account for the current season and final warning will be sent to the General Manager.
•   Fourth Instance-The General Manager will be fired by the Executive Committee.
•   General Managers have until the next weekly roster lock deadline to rectify any roster violations.

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
Re: Survey: Roster Infraction/Penalties
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2019 6:42:59 PM »
If changes are being considered for the amounts, then I would suggest they be a percentage of salary cap or the average salary cap for the past three seasons. A $1m penalty for a franchise with an enormous budget is not the same as for a franchise at the other end of the spectrum.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Angels PH

• Patrick Haight
  • All-Star
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2019 8:32:13 PM »
I picked "moderately too lenient".. only because there is no to timeline for fixing the infraction.  If a timeline was there I would say its fair. 
2007 & 2008 American League West Champs

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2019 8:57:25 PM »
I picked "moderately too lenient".. only because there is no to timeline for fixing the infraction.  If a timeline was there I would say its fair.

The rules above state that there is a weekly deadline to remedy violations... but it's not entirely clear to me what happens if someone does not do so. Is it a new violation each week? Or is compliance after notice mandatory and refusing to reply something other (greater) than just another violation?

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2019 9:15:52 PM »
Forget the fines, start taking away draft picks. Begin with 3rd round, then 2nd, then 1st round. One by one week after week the picks vanish.

Then after the picks are gone, players selected in the previous year's summer draft will be released.

Maybe that would be a greater incentive than a $1mil or $2mil fine.
Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Orioles TK

• Tracy Kienast
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2019 10:08:01 PM »

The rules above state that there is a weekly deadline to remedy violations... but it's not entirely clear to me what happens if someone does not do so. Is it a new violation each week? Or is compliance after notice mandatory and refusing to reply something other (greater) than just another violation?

Currently, not complying results in another violation the next week.
AL Wildcard 2003, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2018
AL East Champion 2008, 2009

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2019 9:10:37 AM »
Currently, not complying results in another violation the next week.

I think there's a reasonable argument that failing to get into compliance after being notified of a specific infraction merits a different response than multiple independent infractions.

Following on the suggestion above, I don't like the idea of losing draft picks if I accidentally wind up over the roster limit twice in a season (say I win a couple of waiver claims and don't check in soon enough), but I have less of a problem with losing a draft pick if I am aware of a violation and simply refuse to fix it.

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2019 9:14:52 AM »
Of course the owner would get a warning and a grace period of one-to-two weeks before draft picks start disappearing.
Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2019 12:13:25 PM »
Good discussion, with some ideas that had not been included in the EC's internal comments.   

I do have a question for those more familiar with the DMBO interface's limitations.  Is it possible to eliminate draft picks on a year-by-year basis without significant programming/coding efforts?

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2019 8:17:08 PM »
Following up on the question above (which is absolutely not loaded), Larry has brought up an interesting suggestion with the inclusion of draft picks as potentially sacrificed commodities for roster infractions, but it's likely one that is more appropriate for polls and discussions about second, third, and potentially continued roster infractions.

Before including that possibility as an option for a poll response, I believe we are all better served to have a handle on what that would mean from an administrative perspective.  First of all, is that doable within the interface?...and secondly, do we have the skill set available to the league to make such a move?

If both of the above are answered affirmatively, are we talking about significant coding/programming efforts?  Even volunteer work can become "cost prohibitive".

I am likely the least computer savvy member of this league and need input before finalizing the poll dealing with penalties for second roster infractions.  My preference is to not include an option that we can not deliver.

I've got some feelers out for information, but might as well post my question here as well.

Please feel free to contribute.  In the interim, there are other questions to include in the survey.

« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2019 8:19:13 PM by Dodgers DS »

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2019 9:48:08 PM »
Removing draft picks is a simple process in the SQL tables and would take a total of two clicks.  If that's the route the league chose to go, it would be easy to walk someone through that process.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2019 12:08:23 AM »
Thank you Jon!