Author Topic: FM poll: should every team have the same payroll  (Read 660 times)

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
Re: FM poll: should every team have the same payroll
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2019 8:59:48 PM »
Our pre-arb and arb salaries are in-line with MLB, by design.

I don't think this is accurate.

First, our arb awards aren't really in line with MLB. Mookie Betts and Kris Bryant both scored over $10M as first-time arb eligibles; DMBO Francisco Lindor wound up with less than half that ($4M and change).

Plus, thanks to the increased ability/incentive to manage PT in DMBO, our arb players are generally far more valuable than real-life arb players. So even if the average DMBO arb salary were the same as the average MLB arb salary, that would ignore the fact that the average DMBO arb-eligible player is more valuable than the average MLB arb-eligible player (and is likely making more money in MLB since he likely either has more service time or is already a FA).

And that extends even moreso to pre-arb players. Our pre-arb salaries are the same as in MLB, but our pre-arb players are not. Guys with 4-5 years of MLB service time may still be YOS 2 in DMBO and earning peanuts.

FA is weird, but it's not really pushing down salaries, just allocating them more randomly than happens in real life. Some guys get bargain deals, others get massively "overpaid" as teams decide it's better to blow their money on the best of the dreck than watch it go up in smoke at the end of the year.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2019 9:07:08 PM »
You make some good points, Chris. We’ll look at all this over the next few months.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #32 on: 11 Jan 2019 9:11:54 PM »
I should add that I don't personally see that as a problem. This is not MLB. We actually know how good our players are (though they may deviate from their projected performace due to sheer luck), which changes basically everything. I have no qualms with teams farming players in non-contending seasons, razing and rebuilding rather than treading water, etc. Unless and until we have AI agents to negotiate for our players, I'd prefer the status quo to most of the other ideas floating out there.