Author Topic: 2019 Rule Amendments-Discussion  (Read 471 times)

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Re: 2019 Rule Amendments-Discussion
« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2018 7:01:17 PM »
Larry,
Against my better judgment I am responding to your message.  When someone doesn’t adhere a rule it is the EC’s responsibility to deal with the issue.  Not mine, not yours, and for us to ignore that point is essentially a vigilante act.  We’ve never discussed the matter, but my guess is that while an active police officer you weren’t overly enamored with people taking the responsibilities of your job into their own hands.

Rules/regulations are quite often shy of being black and white.  I respect a stance founded in 26 years of law enforcement, but I’d like a little respect myself having hung up my cleats from a 40+ year career that included more than a fair percentage of time writing legislative and regulatory language and interpreting the same written by others.  Frankly, loopholes are sometimes so common that the behavioral economics the funding sources use to control those selected for an award are so loose and/or vague there is no legal recourse when people end up doing whatever they want.

There were a few times when I did discover that one of my guidelines had been ignored, and that there was not much of anything that could be done about except to smile and think, “You got me once, but never again.” 

At this point I only request that we keep this thread focused on new or revised language for our league’s rules, and to remain civil.

Doug

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2018 12:23:15 PM »
I will Address this...

As a member of the EC, we do everything possible to make sure the rules are followed.

HOWEVER

It is my own personal opinion that this is NOT a black and white world. Very few things in this life are. I believe in right and wrong, however, finding INTENT ( a word you used to describe things you felt should be penalized Larry)
Is an entirely different animal.

I as an EC member last had 53 men on the roster last year, due to a DFA mistake. I didn't even realize it. The rest of the EC let me know, and I corrected it.

Was I wrong ? YES...

Did I intend to be wrong ? NO

If a blatant example of somebody breaking a rule, knowingly and they weren't punished in some fashion, can you provide me an example ?

Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2018 2:11:08 PM »
I would also like for GM's to be allowed to trade draft picks while on the clock. At the very least conduct a poll to see how the other GM's feel.

Larry
D-Backs

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2018 4:13:27 PM »
I would also like for GM's to be allowed to trade draft picks while on the clock. At the very least conduct a poll to see how the other GM's feel.

Larry
D-Backs

This is apt to sound contradictory, but here goes.  I get VERY frustrated when a GM puts a pick up for trade just before or once it is live on the clock, but would not be terribly upset if such a trade could be formally agreed to by two teams within the first two to three hours that the pick was live.

If such a change were to be implemented the allowable timeline for such a trade would need to be independent of EC approval.  We can't hold rank-and-file GM responsible for EC action or lack thereof.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2018 4:29:10 PM »
I would be agreeable to a time limit but would want more than 3 hours, some people work

Larry
D-Backs

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2019 8:27:11 PM »
I'm of the opinion, that I have 24 hours to do whatever I want with a pick.  If I trade it at 23.5 hours into it, the team that traded for it only has 30 minutes to submit their pick.  Don't take somebody's time to consider things away, because people are impatient.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2019 4:09:06 PM »
If we are looking at rules I would like to see something that if a player spent the entire season in MLB he can't go to our minors w/o clearing waivers.

Larry
D-Backs

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2019 4:59:20 PM »
If we are looking at rules I would like to see something that if a player spent the entire season in MLB he can't go to our minors w/o clearing waivers.

Larry
D-Backs

That is currently the case beginning with the 4th year of DMBO service.  A present, only 0-3rd year players, and free agents signed to a 1 yr contact with no renewal option are the players who may be sent to the reserve roster without having cleared waivers.

Please note, regardless of individual opinions, if such a change requires anything resembling complex coding the viability may not be doable this off season.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2019 5:06:15 PM »
I don't see how it is a coding issue where the GM himself would / should know if his guy can be sent to the minors. This has been a pet peeve of mine since a player won the NL Rookie of the Year and the following season was on a reserve list in our league. If we are looking to re-do the league this is a good time to look at it. I know there was talk of having 40 man rosters and an option system but this is much more simplistic.

Larry

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2019 6:24:40 PM »
I don't see how it is a coding issue where the GM himself would / should know if his guy can be sent to the minors. This has been a pet peeve of mine since a player won the NL Rookie of the Year and the following season was on a reserve list in our league. If we are looking to re-do the league this is a good time to look at it. I know there was talk of having 40 man rosters and an option system but this is much more simplistic.

Larry

The coding factor provides an added sense of security for those of us less trusting of our fellow man than you and perhaps others.

I don't know what player you are referencing, but don't really see that removing that much latitude GM management opportunities to be all that savory.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2019 7:35:29 PM by Dodgers DS »

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2019 7:32:45 PM »

Larry
D-Backs

I mean, this happens in MLB as well. Chris Coglan won the ROY, and then got demoted to the minors 2 seasons later without having to clear waivers.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2019 8:13:07 PM »
I was off by a year. Buster Posey was the 2010 NL ROY. He played the entire 2011 season in DMBO but was traded in Jan 2012 and sent to the minors the same day. In the majors league he was the MVP but because of our rules the MVP of major league baseball was allowed to spend the years in the minors.

With the current rules I could have Blake Snell, Rhys Hoskins, Whit Merrifield and Trevor Story to the minors. Is that what we really want ?

Larry
D-Backs

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2019 8:18:22 PM »
We don't necessarily want to dictate every move you make.  I, as a "hope-to-be" competitor of yours in the NL West would consider those moves to be mighty neighborly.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2019 8:25:33 PM »
I was off by a year. Buster Posey was the 2010 NL ROY. He played the entire 2011 season in DMBO but was traded in Jan 2012 and sent to the minors the same day. In the majors league he was the MVP but because of our rules the MVP of major league baseball was allowed to spend the years in the minors.

With the current rules I could have Blake Snell, Rhys Hoskins, Whit Merrifield and Trevor Story to the minors. Is that what we really want ?

Larry
D-Backs

Technically, I think the MLB teams could send those guys down without passing them through waivers either. I know the Phillies could demote Hoskins if they wanted to without putting him on waivers. That’s just how the system works. If anything, our system is more restrictive than MLBs, in that if any of those guys are 4th or higher, they’d have to clear waivers to be demoted. In MLB, they wouldn’t (since they arrived in the majors quickly and stayed, they wouldn’t have used up their available options, and could be demoted without being put on waivers).

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #29 on: 11 Jan 2019 8:33:29 PM »
The difference is, if it happens in the MLB, they can file a complaint through the MLBPA.

Teams could get around that easily if a player is slumping, was injured, changing positions, etc... so they can use the excuse that they need to work on some things.