Author Topic: Yankees' Offseason Block  (Read 989 times)

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
Yankees' Offseason Block
« on: 15 Oct 2018 5:25:57 PM »
The Yankees are looking to return to the playoffs (and hopefully last a bit longer) in 2019. We should be in good shape for that quest, but there are still a few things we are looking for:

• A high-end corner OF. Gallo is ticketed for DH duties given his defensive projection, which leaves us short a starting OF. Looking for someone who can provide 3+ WAR value, strong preference for average or better defence as part of that. Rentals and longer-term pieces both considered
  • Relievers. Several, in fact. Lefty, righty, elite closer, bargain bin middle man, we could use them all.
  • Prospects & picks. There's no such thing as too many

Of course, we're always open to upgrades elsewhere on the major league roster as well as more and/or better prospects and draft picks.

Available pieces include:

• IF Zack Cozart ($19.214M/2020): Cozart didn't come close to matching his 2017 5 WAR campaign in 2018, but he should still be a decent regular at SS and possibly 3B. Unfortunately he might not be one at 2B, which is the only place he's likely to fit on my team. Salary assistance and/or salary swap available.
  • Various prospects: No one is "untouchable," but elite young talents are unlikely to move unless I am getting someone back who is likely to be a legitimate star for the next few years.
  • Draft picks: I have the #6, #12 and #36 picks in the 2019 draft among various other picks. Open to moving any in the right deal.
  • Ca$h money: we have roughly $90M to spend, which is just a wee bit ridiculous. Happy to share the wealth... for a fair price, of course.

Concrete offers, specific inquiries, and general feelers all welcome. "Would you trade Acuna or Tatis for my random dreck?" messages also welcome, though they will be responded to with the derision they deserve...
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2019 6:13:31 PM by Yankees CC »

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Re: Yankees' Offseason Block
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2018 7:17:43 PM »
Im pretty Sure Dreck Random is a 3b in the Nationals Organization
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2018 10:49:01 AM »
Given Adrian Beltre's not-too-surprising retirement  :'(, the Yankees are at least somewhat interested in acquiring a 3B (though it's not a gaping hole since we can simply slide Cozart there and run Rengifo or Urias at 2B if necessary).

Most likely looking for a one-year rental since we have plenty of infield options for 2020 and beyond, but if you have a star-caliber player you're looking to move, you're welcome to try to change my mind...  8)

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2018 2:04:04 PM »
FWIW, Beltre will probably get a projection and be usable in 2019.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2018 8:18:01 PM »
FWIW, Beltre will probably get a projection and be usable in 2019.

Scot.

Huh. I could have sworn that this had changed recently, with David Ortiz not getting a projection in 2017 -- but apparently I am dead wrong about that.

Glad to have you back for one more season, Adrian!

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2019 11:06:29 AM »
Disappointed with your revenue numbers? Need ca$h money? Have picks or expensive-but-good players? The First Bank of New York has you covered!
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2019 11:08:16 AM by Yankees CC »

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2019 1:20:34 PM »
Zack Cozart's projection is out, and it's right as expected: 99 OPS+, +3 DEF in 378 PA at 3B, good for a 2.4 WAR projection over 600 PA. He should also be at least average defensively at SS (after scoring a Vg/83 rating there a year ago).

Those are likely to be his two best positions, as his defense at 2B in 2018 wasn't so hot so he probably won't be much better than average there.

He ain't playing SS for the Yankees unless Lindor is hurt, pretty clearly. And he's basically equivalent to Adrian Beltre (92 OPS+, +6 DEF in ~400 PA, 2.3 WAR/600 PA) at 3B.

So the Yankees are looking to move either Beltre or Cozart for a comparable 2B, or package either one with more goodies for a better one. Willing to pay or take on salary as needed.

DM inquiries to flesh out a deal always welcome, but if you prefer to cut to the chase and make an offer, go right ahead...