Author Topic: 2018 Summer Draft and Rosters  (Read 428 times)

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
Re: 2018 Summer Draft and Rosters
« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2018 12:18:21 PM »
When I read the rule I assumed (wrongly) that the intent of the rule was for a GM who habitually didn't pay attention to his roster. This is not the case. After looking at Scott's roster my guess is that he is trying to circumvent accruing six weeks roster times for players on his reserve list.

I give Scott credit for his honestly. I am disappointed that a long time ( and good GM) would make a mockery of the league which places the EC in an uncomfortable spot and will cause another rule to be enacted. Just like Chris with his free agent antics is saddens me as a 13 year veteran what the league has become compare to what it was in 2004.

Larry
Arizona

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2018 12:52:03 PM »
The old, my generation is better than new generations spiel spills into sim baseball, too?

Rays SS

• Shane Setnor
  • Cleanup Hitter
« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2018 1:02:13 PM »
So your only two options were to be annoying and take advantage of a gap in the rules or to just simply be annoying?

FWIW, I'm not trying to be sneaky about this at all. I told a few people during the draft I'd be doing this; I told the EC as soon as I was sent a heads-up that I'd be doing this. the other option that I considered was maxing out the time allowed for each of my draft picks, taking 24 hours during the week and up to 72 hours during the weekend, but I thought that delaying the draft would negatively impact the rest of the league, and so I thought I'd take the option that didn't really affect anyone other than me.

Scot.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2018 1:31:44 PM »
Rule II.h states that the EC has the authority to take any action that is in the best interests of the league. By the EC stating that they will close the loop hole in the off season is a pretty clear indication that Scott's actions are not in the best interests of the league and against the intent of the rule.  Instead of creating a new rule at the conclusion of the season I am calling on the EC to show some leadership and enact provision II.h and enforce the rule as they interpret the intent of the rule.

Larry
Arizona

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #19 on: 2 Aug 2018 1:32:37 PM »
PS Don't you love retired old guys whose baseball team is away and have nothing better to do

Larry
Arizona

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #20 on: 2 Aug 2018 2:06:27 PM »
I don't think there are many GMs who want the EC scrutinizing every move they make as rule II.h states.  To be blunt, I do think Scot should get to legal roster size.  I know he understands the spirit of the rule and is simply choosing to take the fines.  The mechanism we have in place to do that doesn't "hurt" 2019 enough to make it worth his while, which I understand from his perspective.  The EC is discussing how we can best close this loophole in the future without further burdening ourselves/the league in the process.

Larry, I'm going to kindly ask you to let this go at this point.  The EC has heard from many GMs on both sides of the issue and we've discussed amongst ourselves well before you sent us a PM or posted publicly here in the forum.  I knew about Scot's intentions and had conveyed the repercussions to him prior to last weekend's roster lock.  Another EC member apparently knew about it before me.  I understand that you, by nature and profession, are a blunt person who follows rules to the letter of the law.  As a person tasked with trying to enforce rules to a bunch of grown men playing a game online, I appreciate that.  As a competitive person who likes to win, I'm actually kind of annoyed that Scot thought about this before me.

All that said, at the end of the day, Scot is breaking a rule and has already accepted the end result of that decision.  This doesn't cause impending disaster for the league any more or less than a 1 year 87 million dollar contract and it doesn't keep us from moving ahead with our season any more than the GMs who've been dismissed in recent years for failing to have legal rosters for four straight weeks.  I'm happy to discuss this further with anyone if necessary.

Thanks!
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #21 on: 2 Aug 2018 2:15:52 PM »
Jon, I will gladly respect your wishes, thanks for the response

Larry
Arizona