Author Topic: 2018 Summer Draft  (Read 399 times)

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Re: 2018 Summer Draft
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2018 8:29:00 AM »
In my 12 years in the league this might be the stupidist thing an EC has ever done. You take one of the two favorite times of the year and screw it up. You punish the masses because a couple of the GM's are inconsiderate when it comes to drafting. I showed how the longest delays is the 48 hour (or more) window for the weekends. If you are on the clock at noon on Friday you have until noon Monday to make your selection.  How is this going to speed up the draft ?

A logical solution would have been that once a GM announces his intention to deal a pick his 24 hour clock is reduced to 12 hours. It would sure be a shame if all GM's took 20 hours to make their selection to show our displeasure. 

At the very least with a ruling of this importance the EC should have conducted a poll. During the discussion phase I dont remember one Gm being in favor of this ruling.

Larry
Arizona
There were at least three of us - Larry Waters, Bill, and I - on just a quick look. The EC discussed it. Youíve voiced this same opinion over and over. We get it. You donít like it. Bring it up again next winter. The EC addressed the weekend clock stop request AND the time change request in the thread and in our discussion. You cant expect me to manually change the deadline every time someone announces their intention to make a trade. The weekend stoppage is long-standing. There was less support for that than for this. Maybe do a little refreshing of your memory before you say we make stupid decisions without consulting the league, Larry.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2018 5:28:15 PM »
I have been on the EC around a decade. There must have been dumberer things I played a hand in saying give it a try.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2018 8:47:27 AM »
No disrespect meant for the EC. Just went through all seven pages of the off season rules discussion and Jon made a suggestion about "locking" draft picks. Three GM's were 100 % against it, one GM (who is on the EC) was on the fence between the two alternatives. One GM stated he liked this idea but I am not sure which idea he was talking about. Most GM's had no opinion or didn't care. There was no obvious reply that a member of the league was 100 % for any restriction on trading draft picks.

Larry
Arizona