Author Topic: How will fitting Ohtani into the profile work  (Read 348 times)

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
How will fitting Ohtani into the profile work
« on: 4 Feb 2018 9:20:12 AM »
Playing around with the DMB software I was not able to add a pitcher into a starting lineup, nor was I able to put a batter into the rotation. Is there a way to do this? If this can't be done, how can a team have a profile where Ohtani is in their lineup and in the rotation?

My first though is maybe he gets two profiles? But -- in that scenario, he becomes twins. He could be pitching and playing RF in the same game. Or he could available as a pinch-hitter when he is also the starting pitcher. In a game where the DH is not used, he could pinch-hit for the #8 hitter, and then bat again in the #9 spot.

Anybody have any insight into solving this quandary?
Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • All-Star
Re: How will fitting Ohtani into the profile work
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2018 10:32:24 AM »
I'm sure DMB will have a patch for it... in 2020 or so. :(

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2018 10:36:58 AM »
I'm sure DMB will have a patch for it... in 2020 or so. :(

That is sort of what I was thinking. Except, I suspect they will not even consider a patch. My guess for how they will react? "Sure, you can use Ohtani as a two-way player. But only in head-to-head leagues where you can manually selecting one of two different Ohtani profiles [like Larry pointed out]."

Basically, I think Ohtani just ain't gonna be a two-way player in centralized DMB leagues. Though it would be awesome if I were wrong because it means DMB is still sort of supporting non-online leagues.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2018 11:14:22 AM »
Update: A little more investigation tells me we may not have a problem. I got a bit creative. I opened Jacob deGrom's underlying settings; I gave him a AV/100 defensive rating in RF.

Then in the profile section, on the pitcher's active roster, I highlighted deGrom. I switched to the lineup page, right-clicked on the #1 spot the lineup, selected Insert Player, selected RF. deGrom was inserted into the lineup as the RFer batting first.

Next I setup an exhibition game with deGrom in the lineup and it the rotation. When it was not deGrom's turn to pitch, he was the starting RFer; when it was his turn to pitch - he was the SP for the game, the game inserted somebody else in RF. I was not able to create a starting lineup where deGrom was both the SP and in RF.

It might be a good idea for somebody to confirm this works as it seemed to work for me.

Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2018 11:20:56 AM »
Interesting. I wonder if Tom Tippett and Co. took that into account when designing the original software. They featured the historical season disks and Ruth would have been an interesting case for his seasons of two-way work.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • LTC Working Group
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2018 12:13:25 PM »
Maybe I can tinker with Justin Bour's profile so you don't need a post between the bases just to be certain he's actually running.  He just might lose a sprint against former Braves' catcher Bruce Benedict, who was once described by Tommy Lasorda as a candidate to finish third if he got into a race with a pregnant woman.

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2018 6:59:10 AM »
When we used to play our Old Timers league
..I had no problems at all using Babe Ruth as a Starter and LFer...
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2018 11:35:42 AM »
There is a dual player option in the software. Micah Owings was fine. Babe Ruth was fine. You just have to view pitchers when in the lineup tab.

The biggest issue, is an AL team can simply not have ohta I hit on the days he pitches. But he'll be able to play the field in his off-mound days just fine.

I've tested it with multiple players, changes, and never had a problem getting it to work.
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2018 11:37:57 AM by Twins BS »

Phillies TP

• Tom Parker
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2018 2:19:02 PM »
Right - I think this only becomes a major issue if Ohtani loses his fielding rating in a couple of years, since the Angels supposedly plan to just DH and pitch him this season. For now, OF is a perfectly usable option on his off days from pitching.

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2018 7:55:23 PM »
Still shouldn't be a problem, as he'd be able to DH in games he's not pitching, but not hit when he does pitch.

Phillies TP

• Tom Parker
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2018 8:03:43 PM »
Oh, right - sorry, got crossed up. Yes, he has to forego Ohtani's bat when he pitches.