Author Topic: 2018 Off-Season Schedule  (Read 2897 times)

Mariners BW

• Bill Weismandel
  • Platoon Player
Re: 2018 Off-Season Schedule
« Reply #75 on: 10 Feb 2018 7:17:11 PM »
However, 1-year mega deals in lieu of “wasting” financial resources is so far removed from competitive balance and realism that an alternative should be considered.

Thanks to those one year sign-and-trades, Johnny Cueto went to the Rays and Kenta Maeda went to the Royals. Last I checked, neither of those are exactly big markets. That was somehow detrimental to competitive balance?
They went there for AMPLE compensation, after both players were signed to unrealistic and insincere contracts.

LOL The Yankees are martyrs!!
General Manager
Seattle Mariners

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #76 on: 10 Feb 2018 7:30:05 PM »
I will do that trade every single year if it means getting to the WS.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #77 on: 10 Feb 2018 7:46:18 PM »
I am more upset by the trading of draft picks ruling than the $44 M contract ruling. If the draft pick ruling was so bad there could be a stipulation that the pick has to be publicized prior to your pick so negotiations could begin before the team is on the clock.

Larry
D-Backs

Mariners BW

• Bill Weismandel
  • Platoon Player
« Reply #78 on: 10 Feb 2018 7:48:09 PM »
So will the Yankees!!!  And they had no intention even trying to get to the WS when they bid on those contracts.

Anyone who thinks those were sincere, healthy free agent signings is someone I’ll never agree with on this subject.  That said, 100% within the rules.  The rule should be changed to promote realism and competitive balance.
General Manager
Seattle Mariners

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #79 on: 10 Feb 2018 7:52:37 PM »
So will the Yankees!!!  And they had no intention even trying to get to the WS when they bid on those contracts.

Anyone who thinks those were sincere, healthy free agent signings is someone I’ll never agree with on this subject.  That said, 100% within the rules.  The rule should be changed to promote realism and competitive balance.
And the EC will ALWAYS welcome conversations to offer ideas on the subject during our rules meetings.  The EC will also always hear all sides of the conversation and do our best to put our own personal feelings aside and do what's best for the league.

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Mariners BW

• Bill Weismandel
  • Platoon Player
« Reply #80 on: 10 Feb 2018 7:57:57 PM »
100% believe the EC does everything with best interest for the league and members.  Sometimes members will still disagree with the EC.
General Manager
Seattle Mariners

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #81 on: 10 Feb 2018 8:08:05 PM »
I do think Chris' suggestion of Money you can borrow from is the best one yet.

If a special no-no penalty has to be put in place to stop somebody from circumventing a new rule, then the new rule isn't 'better than nothing'

I'm still unsure how Chris' signings and trades were detrimental in any way whatsoever. There is a limited amount of cash resources here.... so when a team wants a player, they can easily send assets to a team with money so they can get cash to pay for the FA. Chris just bought the product first, then sold it. He didn't get $44mm worth of prospects/picks in his trade, did he? And especially didn't get that surplus vs what Cueto's lack of surplus value was.

I understand there are GMs in every league that hate anything that skirts tradition and how things 'should' be.. but it feels like this is more "I don't like it" than "this is bad for the league because..." of a specific reason.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #82 on: 10 Feb 2018 9:07:17 PM »
I am definitely a GM that dislikes anything that skirts tradition. Looking at the list of members I am 10th in seniority. I can promise you that for over 13 years I have always voted in what  is more realistic. Not only in this league but also in my football league and hockey league. I have and will always be vocal about thinks that takes our league from a resemblance of realism and turns our league into a "gimmick league".

My personal opinion that the influx of new GM's is a different generation and don't have the same values of what the league was when I joined. I am not saying that is bad as sometimes change is good, but some are just to radical for me.

Larry
D-Backs

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #83 on: 10 Feb 2018 9:51:41 PM »
Please double check your roster and the free agent tab.  All players who were drafted in the winter draft should now be listed on your active roster and their name should be highlighted in blue signifying their no-trade clause.  All undrafted players should now be listed in the FA tab with the contract type '---' next to their name signifying they are rookies.  Please post any errors you find here!

As I find a block of time, I'll update the 2018 winter draft appropriately.  Possibly tomorrow since I have most of the legwork done, but since nothing we are currently doing is affected by that, it may take me a bit longer.

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • All-Star
« Reply #84 on: 10 Feb 2018 11:11:29 PM »
They went there for AMPLE compensation, after both players were signed to unrealistic and insincere contracts.

I see. So, basically, any trade where a large market team doesn't get fleeced is bad for competitive balance, even if it's a win-win deal where both sides benefit?

I guess that would explain most of your trade offers to me...  ::)

Mariners BW

• Bill Weismandel
  • Platoon Player
« Reply #85 on: 11 Feb 2018 9:08:25 AM »

I see. So, basically, any trade where a large market team doesn't get fleeced is bad for competitive balance, even if it's a win-win deal where both sides benefit?

I guess that would explain most of your trade offers to me...  ::)
Ha!

Hey pot, this is the kettle...
General Manager
Seattle Mariners

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #86 on: 11 Feb 2018 11:36:08 AM »
Gentleman

I need to remind you, that this is a public forum, and not where this type of issue is to be aired.

I'm sure that you can form some sort of common ground and move on.

Thank you.
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • All-Star
« Reply #87 on: 11 Feb 2018 11:37:23 AM »
Nothing to see here, move along, move along...

Mariners BW

• Bill Weismandel
  • Platoon Player
« Reply #88 on: 11 Feb 2018 2:00:09 PM »
All good...
General Manager
Seattle Mariners

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #89 on: 4 Mar 2018 11:50:26 AM »
FYI, as we move into Tier 2:

Teams are allotted 2 LTC per year currently.  I've been keeping track, but as money now becomes tougher to use, I felt like a reminder was worthwhile!

This is something the LTC committee will be discussing.

Also worth noting: MLB Opening Day Payroll LOOKS like it may not increase from last year.  It's possible that it does, but currently the best case scenario looks like it will stay steady.  We generally follow MLB, so plan accordingly.  The EC will not begin conversations about 2019 salary caps until after this season concludes, so for all the folks who are conspiracy theorists ( :o), we don't know any more than you do!

Royals Blog
Trade Block