Author Topic: Qualls  (Read 2684 times)

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Qualls
« on: 10 Mar 2006 12:50:55 PM »
Am I missing something?  I don't see Chad Qualls on the FA list, yet he's getting a lot of bids all of a sudden.
-Bruce (Giants)

Robb

Qualls
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2006 1:51:28 PM »
He may not have been added to the online FA list, but he was available all along.  (I think it was in a news release before FA.)

If he wasn't on the official list, I guess that explains why he was pounced on after my official bid.  It surprised me, that's for sure.

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Qualls
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:03:30 PM »
Actually, his name never appears in any posting until your bid, as far as I can see.  And there were postings to the effect that additions to the published list were closed.  I certainly would have bid on Qualls earlier (before I ran out of money :-)) had he been available, given the sorry state of my bullpen.

Anyway, I suppose nothing can be done about it now, as leaving him to a fist-come league-minimum bid for unclaimed free agents isn't fair, either. At least he's fetching a competitive price.
-Bruce (Giants)

Robb

Qualls
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:07:07 PM »
Our FA list isn't necessarily meant to be all inclusive.  Any player that meets our FA elligibility - and a player with over 100 innings over the last 2 seasons certainly does - is available to be bid on.  We try to get everyone on the list, but sometimes we miss.

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Qualls
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:14:46 PM »
Fair enough.
-Bruce (Giants)

Robb

Qualls
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:23:59 PM »
Next year we'll have to do a better job of making sure that recommended FA's make our "official" list.  I most likely had Qualls on my personal list because Scot indicated that he was available, but somehow that didn't get included on the big list.

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
Qualls
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:36:31 PM »
Not trying to be arguementative, but what was this thread about then?

http://dmbo.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=536
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Robb

Qualls
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:43:57 PM »
I'm not sure what's argumentative about that.  We were trying to have the list as accurate as possible, so we asked for more submissions for the FA list, if any existed.  Somehow, apparently Qualls fell through the cracks.  (Although, like I said, he was on my personal list, and I certainly didn't go looking for non-listed FA's.)

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
Qualls
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:47:46 PM »
Quote from: "Robb"
I'm not sure what's argumentative about that.  We were trying to have the list as accurate as possible, so we asked for more submissions for the FA list, if any existed.  Somehow, apparently Qualls fell through the cracks.  (Although, like I said, he was on my personal list, and I certainly didn't go looking for non-listed FA's.)

That's understood... it just sounded like since there was a "deadline" that players left off weren't allowed.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Tigers BH

• Bryan Hanna
  • Starter
Qualls
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:52:25 PM »
I had just figured he was draft eligible.  I tried to find it but was unable to...what is the criteria from moving a DMBO unaffiliated player from draft eligible to free agency eligible?

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Qualls
« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2006 2:58:51 PM »
At the risk of carrying on discussion here and private email at the same time....

Quote from: "Pirates"
That's understood... it just sounded like since there was a "deadline" that players left off weren't allowed.

Exactly.  

The rules state that to be an FA, the player must meet eligibility criteria AND be explicitly approved by the EC, and that the EC will provide a window before FA starts for GMs to nominate players to be blessed as FAs.  And since the EC is publishing this list, and there was a "deadline" for including players, I assumed the list was authoritative.

At this point, I don't care so much about Qualls in particular as that we all get on the same page for the future.
-Bruce (Giants)

Phillies TP

• Tom Parker
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Qualls
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2006 3:04:35 PM »
Any screw-ups on the list are 100% my responsibility - my apologies for leaving Qualls off the earlier list.  He was approved by the EC and was erroneously left off the roster spreadsheet.

Robb

Qualls
« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2006 3:07:44 PM »
This was a screw-up on the league's part.  Looking back at the rules, Qualls was not elligible because he wasn't on our list, even though he met the other requirements (30 innings pitched in the majors, not on a DMBO roster.)

Without consulting with the EC, I'm going to rule personally that the Qualls contract with the Tigers stands, but in the future we'll stick with the rules as written.  We'll just have to be a lot more thourough when creating the on-line FA list.

(Perhaps we should designate someone to be in charge of the FA list to lessen Tom's workload - keeping up with the rosters is a major pain.)

I certainly wasn't trying to sneak in and pull a fast one on the league by stealing away Chad Qualls last in FA.   :shock:

Phillies TP

• Tom Parker
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Qualls
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2006 3:23:24 PM »
Quote from: "Robb"

I certainly wasn't trying to sneak in and pull a fast one on the league by stealing away Chad Qualls last in FA.   :shock:

Actually, Robb was, and he also stood to make a huge profit in the Dubai ports deal before it fell through.  Don't feel bad for him, though - he expects to get 50% of Anna Nicole Smith's inheritance if she wins in the Supreme Court.  :lol: