Author Topic: 2017 Summer Draft Ineligibles and Discussion Thread  (Read 2149 times)

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Re: 2017 Summer Draft Ineligibles and Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2017 7:58:25 AM »
Scot is correct.

This will probably be the last year we have to deal with this in terms of IFAs signing on time because it's the last year under the old CBA.

But Robert is and should be eligible....And no....

I'm not taking him #1 overall :)
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2017 11:40:19 AM »
In the past, our unofficial position has been that if the player is signed before our draft officially starts, he's eligible for the draft, but if he signs after then he's not (to avoid people stalling draft picks to potentially grab one of the current crop of July 2 international free agents). We should probably update the wording in the rules to reflect this.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2017 12:57:43 PM »
In the past, our unofficial position has been that if the player is signed before our draft officially starts, he's eligible for the draft, but if he signs after then he's not (to avoid people stalling draft picks to potentially grab one of the current crop of July 2 international free agents). We should probably update the wording in the rules to reflect this.

Scot. I

This ^

We can set a drop dead date if you like ( it will have to be sliding ) as the MLB draft itself happens on different days each year.

I.e. All players who have signed the day before the actual MLB draft are eligible....( as long as they meet they age requirements). Any player who officially signs after the start of the real MLB draft is ineligible.

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2017 1:02:47 PM »
I captured this for the next offseason Official Rules review.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2017 4:24:43 PM »
Luis Robert officially signed with the Chicago White Sox on Saturday, May 27th which is one day after the deadline. I request that the EC re-visit this topic since he clearly signed after the deadline.

Larry
Arizona

He was suggested prior to the deadline for review.  He signed after the deadline for review.  However, he signed before our posting deadline as currently listed in the bylaws and as listed in the first post of this thread:
Though a Player may normally meet the eligibility requirements for the Draft of Unaffiliated Players, the Executive Committee reserves the right to declare any Player ineligible and designate him for entry into the Player pool as a Free Agent during the following off-season:

The Executive Committee will designate such Players as ineligible no less than 10 business days prior to the Draft of Unaffiliated Players.

Such Executive Committee action will be primarily limited to Players entering MLB from other professional leagues or from advanced amateur national programs. (Note: Nippon Professional Baseball and Cuba are, respectively, examples of professional and advanced amateur national programs.)
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2017 4:26:48 PM »

Scot.

I have been uncomfortable with that setup for some time, which is why I brought this thread up earlier than usual and tried to get us in line with the 10 days listed in the bylaws.

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2017 4:39:40 PM »
I'd also be uncomfortable using sign date as the sole factor.

In the unlikely scenario a significant 25, 26, 27 year old (just to pick some prime time ages) player from Cuba or Asia (less likely - granted) were to sign a huge contract with a MLB team, and he begins his career in the majors, does he go into the draft simply because he signed before we begin drafting?

This is why (IMO) we need to be somewhat nuanced when deciding who goes into the draft and who gets held back for T2.
Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2017 6:07:38 PM »
I'd also be uncomfortable using sign date as the sole factor.

In the unlikely scenario a significant 25, 26, 27 year old (just to pick some prime time ages) player from Cuba or Asia (less likely - granted) were to sign a huge contract with a MLB team, and he begins his career in the majors, does he go into the draft simply because he signed before we begin drafting?

This is why (IMO) we need to be somewhat nuanced when deciding who goes into the draft and who gets held back for T2.

This is covered under the other unofficial guideline we've been following, that we should add to the rules: if a player is covered by MLB's international signing pool, he's draft-eligible in DMBO; if he's not covered by the spending limit, he's FA the next offseason.

Scot.
WS champion 2004, 2006

Mariners BW

• Bill Weismandel
  • EC
  • Cleanup Hitter
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jun 2017 10:29:00 AM »
No, but there is a Draft Ineligible board. Essentially it lists every player on a DMBO roster or on the FA list.

Eligible players are everybody else on the planet providing they have a professional baseball contract or are draft eligible according to MLB rules. The only exceptions are the few guys we discuss here each year prior to the draft.
Stupid question, where is this Draft Ineligible Board?
General Manager
Seattle Mariners

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jun 2017 12:26:13 PM »

2017 Draft Picks

View: 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018

List of Players Ineligible for 2017 Draft

Note: All times listed are eastern (New York) time!

Year   Round   Pick   Team (Original)   Pick Time   Selected Player
2017   1   1   Marlins
Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jun 2017 1:09:09 PM »
Bill,

As Larry is showing you, if you click on draft picks from your GM desk....

You will see what he is showing you and you can click on the List of player ineligible for 2017 draft, if he isn't on that list, you are pretty much good to go.

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2017 4:50:59 PM »
I just Command+F and type in a name to search that list, or I go to Player Search in the GM Desk and type in the player's name to see if he's already on a roster.

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #27 on: 1 Jun 2017 9:04:39 PM »
I just Command+F and type in a name to search that list, or I go to Player Search in the GM Desk and type in the player's name to see if he's already on a roster.

I do that too....

But my inability to spell causes me great peril.

Mike Truot isn't on a roster !!

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #28 on: 1 Jun 2017 9:47:06 PM »
You know what would make my life much easier every year around draft time? If the draft ineligible list was in the format "Lastname, Firstname".

Scot.
WS champion 2004, 2006

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #29 on: 1 Jun 2017 11:29:59 PM »
You know what would make my life much easier every year around draft time? If the draft ineligible list was in the format "Lastname, Firstname".

Scot.

Yeah !!!

I would like the order to be changed to exactly the way they currently are too !!!!  :)
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2017 12:03:36 AM by Marlins JM »