Author Topic: 2017 Rule Change Proposals - Discussion  (Read 4300 times)

Giants SK

• Shawn Kelly
  • Cleanup Hitter
Re: 2017 Rule Change Proposals - Discussion
« Reply #60 on: 3 Nov 2016 6:20:37 PM »
Not related to the discussed topics but I'm working on it now. Picking 10 people for the Mvp is too much.  Can we just do 3 and have a run off if needed?

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #61 on: 3 Nov 2016 7:00:51 PM »
10 is the maximum number of names you can include. You don't have to name 10.
Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Cubs JD

« Reply #62 on: 4 Nov 2016 9:16:21 AM »
I fall into the group that enjoys the league, but mostly doesn't engage in the forums, unless it's trade talk.  The reason I'm not more engaged is mostly due to me being new to the league, with this past season being my first.  I'm still learning the in's and out's of the league so it's hard for me to chime in on most things because I simply don't have an opinion yet or know what I'm talking about. 

That being said, my thoughts are that I can't see adding more picks without really expanding rosters.  As people have already mentioned, it's hard to balance stockpiling long-term high-ceiling prospects and ready-to-contribute players with only 25 reserve spots.  Part of me is tempted to go full boat and have full AAA, AA, and A rosters, Rule 5, etc......because I know I'd enjoy managing and researching all those players.  I had a computer baseball game called High Heat Baseball back in the early 2000's that had full minor league rosters before MLB: The Show ever did, and I loved it. 

However, I'm not a teenager anymore and don't have the time to do all that (got married last month, just added a dog to the family, I don't know what free time is anymore).  Getting that all set up would be a chore for the EC and managing all of that would be time-consuming for all GMs.  My concerns have less to do with big market/small market advantages and more to do with roster size.  I saw that rosters are expanding a little so that helps alleviate my concerns a little.   

Not sure if this helps any, but just thought I'd share my opinion.

-Jason 

Cardinals

« Reply #63 on: 12 Nov 2016 4:30:21 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the GM Desk is both an enabler and a limiter when it comes to rule changes.  I gave 1.5 years' notice to the EC as far as my involvement assisting with coding, and that time is just about up.  Considering I don't have much experience with PHP and haven't touched any of the code in over a year, I'm probably not going to be as helpful as I'd like to be, either.

The practical ramifications are that any rule change proposal involving a major overhaul is probably not realistic even if it makes all the theoretical sense in the world.  Adding picks?  That's doable, and it might even be a good project to get Jon and Scot more involved in implementing new features instead of just maintaining existing ones.  Overhauling free agency?  That's a lot less doable (for this year at least).

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #64 on: 12 Nov 2016 8:22:57 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the GM Desk is both an enabler and a limiter when it comes to rule changes.  I gave 1.5 years' notice to the EC as far as my involvement assisting with coding, and that time is just about up.  Considering I don't have much experience with PHP and haven't touched any of the code in over a year, I'm probably not going to be as helpful as I'd like to be, either.

The practical ramifications are that any rule change proposal involving a major overhaul is probably not realistic even if it makes all the theoretical sense in the world.  Adding picks?  That's doable, and it might even be a good project to get Jon and Scot more involved in implementing new features instead of just maintaining existing ones.  Overhauling free agency?  That's a lot less doable (for this year at least).

This.  Any massive coding changes are going to be either deferred or completely vetoed on my end.  I'm doing my best to study php in what little free time remains in my life, but with two kids, my job (and a possible job change looming), and wanting to keep my wife around, long hours to dig into coding aren't going to show up any time soon.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #65 on: 20 Nov 2016 2:17:21 AM »
I am going to close the thread down and collate thoughts in preparation for the EC review and discussion. If there are any last suggestions, then get them posted here or emailed to the EC by close of play on Sunday, 11/20 (today).
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Reds MP

• Michael Phillips
  • EC
  • All-Star
« Reply #66 on: 20 Nov 2016 11:40:06 AM »
Late comment

Not sure if it's in the thread but apparently MLB is discussing in C.B.A. talks implementing a 26 man roster.

Do we want to follow suit if that happens?
Michael Phillips
GM, Cincinnati Reds

Phillies TP

• Tom Parker
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #67 on: 20 Nov 2016 1:26:48 PM »
I wouldn't mind a 26-man roster. It might avoid some of the ridiculousness of having non-catchers catch if you normally carry two and they both get hurt, since we do simulations on a weekly and not daily basis.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #68 on: 20 Nov 2016 2:45:08 PM »
If baseball went to a 26 man roster I would like to also. I usually vote in favor of realism. Tom makes a very good point about catchers

Larry
D-Backs

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #69 on: 20 Nov 2016 9:05:26 PM »
I'd guess most teams, RL and sim, wouldn't carry a 3rd catcher. Arms arms arms!

Rangers MK

• Mitchell King
  • Draft Pick
« Reply #70 on: 20 Nov 2016 9:09:47 PM »
I would be in favor of the 26 man roster (when/if it happens in real MLB). Would give you an extra arm in the pen or an extra AB, especially in long extra inning games.

This may not be the correct place for this but if I may ask as a new GM.... What is the one thing that you didn't know about the DMBO financials that you wished you would have asked before your first off season? In other words, what surprised you the most? Any help would be appreciated.

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #71 on: 21 Nov 2016 1:28:21 PM »
I would be in favor of the 26 man roster (when/if it happens in real MLB). Would give you an extra arm in the pen or an extra AB, especially in long extra inning games.

This may not be the correct place for this but if I may ask as a new GM.... What is the one thing that you didn't know about the DMBO financials that you wished you would have asked before your first off season? In other words, what surprised you the most? Any help would be appreciated.
I was most surprised by how much winning (or not winning) takes an immediate effect on payroll.  That will become more transparent (clear as mud) later this off-season.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #72 on: 26 Nov 2016 3:32:45 AM »
Okay, I believe I have swept up all the suggestions in this thread. The EC will begin our Official Rules Review shortly. See you all on the other side.
Atticus Ryan

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #73 on: 10 Dec 2016 3:56:52 AM »
Can the person that posted something over the course of the season or during the rules review proposals that prompted me to capture the following please send me a private message reminding me what it was they posted?
  • Assess and Consider Need To Update Summer and Winter Draft Eligibility Criteria
In my infinite wisdom I did not capture more detail than that.
Atticus Ryan