Author Topic: TA: Royals and Brewers swap prospects  (Read 602 times)

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
TA: Royals and Brewers swap prospects
« on: 21 Dec 2015 11:08:33 AM »
Royals get: OF/C? Pete O'Brien (xxx, $0.507M)
Brewers get: 2B Jose Peraza (xxx, $0.507M)

Why the Royals do this deal: O'Brien isn't the type to show up on top prospect lists, but he has mashed his way through the minors, with the lowest OPS he has posted the last 3 years being the .883 he put up in AAA in 2015. He doesn't walk as much as you'd like, and he strikes out a bit more than you'd like, but the power is undeniable. Primarily a C prior to 2015, he was moved to the OF last year. He might have a good enough bat to be an asset in a corner OF spot, but there are rumblings that he's headed back behind the plate in 2016, where the bat would be even more valuable.

Why the Brewers do this deal: Peraza, on the other hand, IS the type of prospect that shows up on top prospect lists. Rater the 54th best prospect heading in to the 2015 season by Baseball America, he struggled a bit in AAA. Peraza is a prototypical middle infielder: low walks, low power, high speed, offensive value driven by his BA. He's good defensively, and while he was primarily a 2B last year, he could end up back at SS (where he started his career), and has even played some CF. Plus, he's ML-ready now, and could be the starting 2B for the 2016 Brewers.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Re: TA: Royals and Brewers swap prospects
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2015 2:57:59 PM »
I'll be honest.  I expected to lose badly here.  I'm surprised folks are sold on O'Brien either staying behind the plate or mashing.  The ONLY plus for me is that if he really mashes and really stinks everywhere in the field, at least KC has that silly DH rule.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2015 4:15:11 PM »
I voted for the Royals for two reasons. One is that I saw O'Brien play in the Florida State League and he was as good as anyone (hitting) that I have seen in eight years. You can't teach that type of power.

The other reason is about Peraza himself. There has to be a reason why someone with that talent has been on three teams in six months.

Larry
D-Backs

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2015 4:19:33 PM »
I voted even, but I think I like O'Brien more than most (me? a weakness for a slugger with defensive issues? I know, you're all shocked), and I like Peraza a little less than most (me? disliking a poor-hitting slick-fielding middle infielder? Again, shock, I know). Though I will admit that researching the TA made me like Peraza a bit more than I had before.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2015 4:54:34 PM »
Really, Really tough vote... I should have voted even... but I slightly favored the Royals on this...

Because...

I'm a TOTAL sucker for Power.
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Brewers DG

• Darren Gaffney
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2015 11:23:05 AM »
You guys are exactly where I was at.  I think they are pretty even.  OBrien has never been on the prospect radar, but continues to mash, which is a more rare tool.

Ultimately, I went with Peraza because A) He can fill a gap immediately at 2B after I traded away Devon Travis.  and B) Obrien is effectively blocked in Arizona, and I don't know how he will handle repeating AAA. 

If he goes back behind the plate and becomes a poor man's Mike Piazza, I obviously made a big Gaffe here...
And if Peraza becomes Altuve...

We shall see.