Author Topic: TA: Twins send Reddick to the White Sox  (Read 451 times)

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
TA: Twins send Reddick to the White Sox
« on: 17 Dec 2015 1:06:13 PM »
White Sox get: OF Josh Reddick (6th, $6.971M)
Twins get: SS Chris Owings (3rd, $0.550M), pick 2.24, pick 4.24

Why the White Sox do the deal: Josh Reddick is a nice little player - decent average, decent OBP, decent power, flexible defensively in the OF. Reddick is probably good for a 110-115 OPS+ in 2016. The big question about him is where will he get rated defensively, and what will those ratings be? Reddick has played a total of 11 innings in CF the last 2 years, so there's a good chance that he won't be rated in CF in 2016. Even so, he could still have a ton of value: he was rated VG in LF and EX in RF last year, and while his defensive numbers weren't that good last year, he should still be at least VG in RF next year.

Why the Twins do the deal: Reddick was eligible for FA after 2016, and he's probably not worth an LTC. So the Twins moved him to get some value, and to cut payroll slightly. Going into 2015, Chris Owings was a good option at SS: decent offense and very good defense at SS. But 2015 was a disaster for him IRL - he didn't hit, got bumped off of SS, and played terrible defense at 2B. The Twins are hoping that 2015 was an aberration, and that Owings bounces back to become a decent option at SS or 2B down the road. The 2 draft picks will help the Twins keep their farm system strong.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Twins BS

• Bobby Schmidt
  • Hall of Famer
Re: TA: Twins send Reddick to the White Sox
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2015 1:33:06 PM »
I love me some Reddick, and he's probably been my best player the last couple of years... and if i wasn't struggling with my cap space, I would have kept him and even considered the LTC. Luckily I have Ozuna ready to play, even if he is a step down on both sides of the ball. Now I just have to hope Reddick doesn't beat me up in the division!

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Re: TA: Twins send Reddick to the White Sox
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2015 3:00:58 PM »
Man I hate the Tie vote... but that is just what I voted on this one....

I like Owings, but man, he was woeful last season, basically a full game worse than a replacement player. I know it's growing pains, and that is probably an outlier, but its hard to ignore when your first full season in MLB goes like that....

The 2nd and 4th round picks were late 2nd and 4th, and that influenced me as well....

That's why I felt this trade even for a year of service of Josh Reddick.
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD