Author Topic: Scouting Trip  (Read 895 times)

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Scouting Trip
« on: 25 May 2015 1:36:06 PM »
We'll chalk it up as a scouting trip for DMBO, but I just snared all-game seats for the NCAA Baseball Springfield Regional.  I'll probably miss Game 1 with Oregon/Iowa due to travel, but don't plan to miss much more of the action.

Braves TC

• Tyler Courtney
  • Bench Warmer
Re: Scouting Trip
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2015 2:59:55 PM »
We'll chalk it up as a scouting trip for DMBO, but I just snared all-game seats for the NCAA Baseball Springfield Regional.  I'll probably miss Game 1 with Oregon/Iowa due to travel, but don't plan to miss much more of the action.

Big Iowa fan and was good to see them finally have a good baseball year, never got to watch them this year besides one game, what was your thoughts on the team?

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2015 7:27:53 PM »
Iowa had a pretty good squad.  I saw their first game against Oregon and both that they played against Missouri State.  I like their middle infield of 2B Jake Mangler and SS Nick Roscetti.  Neither did anything I'd qualify as spectacular, but are very steady and can also swing the bat.

During those games that I watched, 1B/P Tyler Peyton seemed to be the Hawkeyes' most advanced hitter, but his hands drift a bit, and he was badly overmatched against Mo St's LHP Matt Hall.  Granted, Hall led the nation in strikeouts, but Peyton would be well served working during the off season on hitting a 12-6 hook.  Regardless, he does have a clue in the box....and I like him better as a position player than as a pitcher.  On the mound he's a little stiff, and seemed to have a different arm slot for the breaking stuff opposed to the fastball....can you say tipping?

Two guys who came in to relieve were very impressive:  Brandon Shulista and Nick Hibbing.  I think both are seniors, but their days in baseball may continue awhile longer.

The head coach could give a flip regarding my opinion of his in-game strategy, but if you're going to have the leadoff hitter try to lay one down on either of the first two pitches during at least half the innings, it might be wise to emphasize that in BP.  I get the value of bringing in the corner infielders, but the effect is lessened when no one can bunt fairly. 

One guy literally bunted one over the safety netting, that is likely 25 feet high and 25 feet behind the plate.  An Iowa fan in about the 15th row caught it with one hand and yelled, "Go Hawks!!"

Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching the Hawkeyes.  There is enough talent on that team to believe they'll be decent next year.  One guy I didn't mention above who has a clue is C Daniel Moriel.  He moves fairly well behind the plate and definitely is command of the pitchers, but I'm uncertain whether he'll be back.  I could see him being drafted.

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2015 4:37:19 PM »
I see that the MLB Pirates just took 3B Mitchell Tolman from Oregon.  Maybe I just caught him on a bad day at the regional, but it was difficult to imagine that another member of the Ducks' lineup was less able with the glove to warrant being the DH.

Tolman can hit the crap out of the ball, but strictly based on what I saw, he needs defensive coaching that starts from Step 1.