Author Topic: Ruling Request  (Read 1015 times)

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
Ruling Request
« on: 8 Sep 2014 11:36:23 AM »
Exploring options:

If the Dodgers buy out Roy Halladay's contract at the conclusion of Week 25 there would the matter of his salary for both 2015 and 2016.  With unspent money from 2014 most of the 2015 debt is covered, and an extra $4.0M of income on the books for 2015, the first year of that remaining debt isn't a concern.

However, is it possible for the Dodgers to buy out the 2016 portion of Halladay's contract during the current season and keep him on the roster for 2015?

Cardinals

Re: Ruling Request
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2014 11:40:49 AM »
We'll get a thread started on the EC sub-forum and provide an answer as soon as we all can hash this out and come to a consensus.

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2014 2:49:07 AM »
Points for the innovative thinking (presumably looking for some way to, effectively, restructure the Halladay contract).

The EC reviewed this and as the Official Rules are currently written:

1. You cannot buy-out a player without first waiving and subsequently releasing them
2. Because of this, you cannot buy out a portion of a player's contract
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2014 9:45:54 AM »
It was worth a try.  There is a shot that Halladay will receive a projection worthy of a No. 5 starter, a swingman, or an emergency call up to fill in for injury.  If I opt to roll the dice on that possibility it becomes a decision whether a $26.5M hit on the salary cap is preferable in 2015 or 2016.

Do 2014 transactions resulting in player release/buy out have to occur prior to the Week 26 run, or simply before postseason play?

Cardinals

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2014 10:16:31 AM »
Do 2014 transactions resulting in player release/buy out have to occur prior to the Week 26 run, or simply before postseason play?

That's a really good question.  I'm not sure if we've ever had this situation before, and it may require a quick dig through the code to see if the option is still available after the last week.  I'll do that today or tomorrow and see if I can find an answer.  My initial wild guess is that you can wait until after the regular season ends and before the playoffs start based on what I know of the Release code, but don't take my word for it at this point.

Giants BW (Ret)

• Bruce Walker
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2014 2:37:45 PM »
I don't believe there is any restriction on when a player can be released, with or without buyout (other than when we freeze everything in the early offseason to prepare for the next year).
-Bruce (Giants)

Cardinals

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2014 3:25:03 PM »
I don't believe there is any restriction on when a player can be released, with or without buyout (other than when we freeze everything in the early offseason to prepare for the next year).

Thanks, Bruce.

I checked the code for releasing players and was about to post the same thing - as long as we haven't moved the database to "2015" yet, Halladay can be released without issue (even if the playoffs have already started).

Dodgers DS

• Doug Sutton
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2014 10:18:28 AM »
Thanks to both Jonathan and Bruce.  That buys me a little more time to make a final decision, and should I release Halladay in 2014, doing so after the Week 26 run is more economical than beforehand.

Although it might have been interesting to see a Week 26 bid war by GMs wanting to rest the front of their rotation with the signing of a free agent with a .667 Quality Start Percentage, a 2.57 ERA, and a 1.08 WHIP.