Author Topic: Kyle Schwarber  (Read 694 times)

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
Kyle Schwarber
« on: 23 Aug 2014 1:05:55 PM »
Last night the Daytona Cubs started a 3 game series against the Lakeland Flying Tigers, with whom I have season tickets. A two hour delay gave me an opportunity to speak with Kyle Schwarber, my 1st round pick in the 2014 draft. I explained how our league works and that I was probably the only GM who got to meet his 1st round pick. If my wife was with me I would have had a photo. After making outs his first two times up, he hit the scoreboard in right center field 3/4 of the way up for a home run (ball was crushed) . In his 4th at bat, he hit a long double to left center (opposite field) gap. Unfortunately for me, he was the DH last night and seems to play the OF twice as often as he catches. Nice kid.

Larry
Arizona

Cardinals

Re: Kyle Schwarber
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2014 3:04:55 PM »
Man can he hit.  It's too bat he stinks in the outfield.  I'm not sure if he'd even be that good at first base.  But everyone said the bat was going to be good and I think it still ended up getting sold light.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2014 9:03:25 AM »
Daytona and Lakeland had a doubleheader last night. Schwarber caught the first game and definately needs some work behind the plate. He did show good quickness going up the 3rd base line to grab a bunt and throw the runner out. There was no passed balls but his throws to 2nd base were not accurate. As for hitting, to prove his blast last night was not a fluke, he hit a shot over the clubhouse in right field which was further than the previous nights home run. There was a comical moment. He hit a ball to the fence in the right center field gap. As he rounds first, he stops half way to second base. He then took a couple more steps towards second base but the first base coach is yelling at him. He then ran back to first base. He had missed first base and had one of the longest singles in Lakeland history.

In the second game he played LF and had one routine play. As for batting , he hit another home run, but this one was "only" half way up the scoreboard.

Larry

Cardinals

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2014 9:27:13 AM »
Wish you'd had more chances to look at him in left field.  If his routes are good then it seems like he could passably handle the position.  The Cubs don't see that inclined to keep him behind the plate the way they're aggressively promoting him; the bat is ready for this level but I'm guessing developmentally he needs more time and experience as a catcher.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2014 4:51:07 PM »
Schwarber played left again. There was a chance when a catchable ball was hit into the left center gap that wasn't caught. I didn't see the jump he got but he didn't have closing speed for a ball that I thought should have been caught.

On his first at bat he hit a line drive that hit the lower portion of the scoreboard for his 4th home run in 4 games. On his third at bat he homered again with the ball landing on the roof of the clubhouse (another bomb). When he came up for his 4th at bat in a 6 to 1 game  with a runner on second base and one out the Tigers intentionally walked him. Yes,  I booed. He popped out in his 5th at bat.

Larry

Cardinals

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2014 8:25:27 PM »
The "longest single" story is my favorite of the bunch, but it's great hearing about all of it.  You should post tidbits from your Lakeland games more often.