Author Topic: Reds abbreviated draft  (Read 900 times)

Reds MP

• Michael Phillips
  • EC
  • All-Star
Reds abbreviated draft
« on: 24 Jun 2014 1:57:19 PM »
The Reds are posting this poll despite any reasonable caution.  Reds traded away a ton of picks and most of the value in their farm system in a still to be realized attempt to compete in the wild and wooley NL Central.  Left with 3 picks in what amounts to the back end of the draft (added a last minute pick at very end), just hoping to keep out of the ratings basement on our farm system.
At least we didn't have the pressure of a first round pick.(or second for that matter)

3.10  Michael Feliz.  Astros Orf.  Was happy to find a arm that might have a #2 ceiling here and who seems to be pitching well in full season if only in 5 innning stretches.  Nice size for a 20 year old.  Hopefully PEDs are behind him and he makes it through A this season.

4.4  Marcus Wilson.  CF  High school outfielder from California.  Probably would have taken Shae Simmons here if he lasted a few more picks, so I went to my amateur draft list and selected a lottery ticket in Wilson.  Very young so I won't know for a very long time. 

4.10  Mac Williamson rf, SFG org.  Was watching Mac last year, Athletic and big,  cranked 25 in A ball last year.  So what if he Ks a lot.  I could lie and say I knew he was getting TJ, but bad job of followup scout work.  Still 23, hopefully he gets back before he's too old.

5.28  J.R. Muprhy c NYY org.  My chart said Devin Williams, LeVon Washington or maybe Jackson Reetz.  Instead I punked out and took the usable backup catcher projection and a optomistic Sickel B- rating.  What the heck, he's 23 in the majors and hasn't looked bad (albeit looking at his walk rate, he isn't up there looking).

Michael Phillips
GM, Cincinnati Reds

Cardinals

Re: Reds abbreviated draft
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2014 2:07:12 PM »
The Feliz pick was outstanding.  Worst-case scenario maybe has him as a reliever, but you can probably tell from my draft how much I like power arms.  He's one of the better value picks in the entire draft, in my opinion.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2014 2:34:10 PM »
The Feliz pick was outstanding.  Worst-case scenario maybe has him as a reliever, but you can probably tell from my draft how much I like power arms.  He's one of the better value picks in the entire draft, in my opinion.

Agreed. very nice pick.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Yankees CC

• Chris Conley
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2014 3:43:48 PM »

Agreed. very nice pick.

Scot.

Ditto. He was next on my list at 2.26.

I like Murphy too -- ZiPS tends to be pretty kind to part-time players, so he could easily turn in a starter-quality season or three and be a solid backup the rest of the time. And Wilson was on my radar as well.

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2014 5:36:23 PM »

Agreed. very nice pick.

Scot.

Ditto!
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block