Author Topic: 2014 Indians Draft  (Read 751 times)

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
2014 Indians Draft
« on: 14 Jun 2014 5:49:17 PM »
The Indians will be sitting out the remainder of the draft, having used all 5 of the picks that we had available. 

Michael Taylor (CF):
Taylor is a 23-year old, playing at the AA level.  He's built a reputation as one of the better outfield defenders in the minors, but this year he seems to have found a power stroke at double-A.   He obviously needs to prove that it's not a fluke, but the defense should be good enough to make him playable, regardless. 

Francisco Mejia (C):
Mejia is just 18 years old, and has very little exposure to professional baseball.  He apparently shined in the Arizona Rookie League this past off-season.  All of the tools are there, but with not much of a resume to work off of, this was a relatively risky pick. 

Update:  Mejia went 3 for 5 with a double in his debut in the New York-Penn League last night.

Wes Parsons (SP):
Parsons is a 21 year old, pitching at the high-A level. There hasn't been much fanfare surrounding Parsons' career, and you won't find him on many (any?) lists of top prospects.  However, he's been consistently effective through his first 30 starts as a professional.   He's got a pitcher's build, and I'm hoping he can improve velocity enough to remain effective at the higher levels.  Probably has a ceiling of a #3 starter, and looks to be a guy who could be an innings-eater at the MLB level, or be overmatched at the AA level.

Kevin Kiermaier (CF/RF):
Kiermaier is an outfielder currently playing well at the MLB level. Much like Taylor, Kieraier has built a reputation as an outstanding defensive outfielder.  Unlike Taylor, there's not a ton of upside here, offensively.   Kiermaier looks like a guy who could (should) crack the Indians' 25-man roster as soon as next year.  In fact, I considered adding him to the active roster immediately, but the few sims that I ran weren't promising........... so I'll probably just hold him on the reserve roster for now.

Foster Griffin (SP):
Griffin is an 18-year old left-hander just out of high school.  To be honest, I don't know what to expect here.  He's definitely got a pitchers' build, and a decent pedigree.  I wasn't all that intrigued with any pitchers available on minor-league rosters.......... so I took a stab at a high schooler in hopes of striking gold. 

Overall, I'm very pleased with the additions to the Indians' roster.  My farm system has been somewhat stuck in the mud for the last couple of years (between injuries and risk/reward players who didn't pan out), so I could definitely use some good luck here. 
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2014 8:35:32 PM by Indians RH »
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Padres JG (Ret)

• John Guerry
  • All-Star
Re: 2014 Indians Draft
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2014 6:33:45 PM »
Forrest Griffin was also a heck of an MMA fighter. So you have that going for you.

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2014 5:37:45 PM »
I think Parsons is my favorite pick of this draft, simply because of his back story!

I, obviously, hope all your prospects flame out.  I'm tired of losing to you :)
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Cardinals

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2014 5:54:46 PM »
I love the Mejia pick.

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2014 7:26:04 PM »
It was a fun draft.  I guess I'm most excited about Foster Griffin, simply because I rarely draft high school pitchers, and he's somewhat of an unknown in my mind.  I've consistently laid an egg when it comes to drafting pitchers (done much better with position players), so I'm hopeful that I can hit paydirt with Griffin or Parsons. 
INDIANS GM (Retired)