Author Topic: 2014 Summer Draft Discussion and FAQ  (Read 21092 times)

Cardinals

Re: 2014 Summer Draft Discussion and FAQ
« Reply #360 on: 27 Feb 2015 6:47:40 PM »
Half a year later, it's fun looking at these selections and seeing how the players' current value compares with where they were selected.  Some of the best picks, ranked and tiered from best to "worst":

1. Jacob DeGrom, Colorado Rockies (went 3.17, should have been Top 3 overall pick)
------------------------------
2. Aaron Blair, New York Yankees (went 3.18, should have been Top 8 overall pick)
3. Steven Matz, Washington Nationals (went 2.03, should have been Top 8 overall pick)
4. Kyle Schwarber, Arizona Diamondbacks (went 1.13, should have been Top 5 overall pick)
5. Collin McHugh, Toronto Blue Jays (went 2.27, should have been mid 1st round pick)
6. Luis Severino, Kansas City Royals (went 1.15, should have been Top 10 overall pick)
7. Dalton Pompey, Kansas City Royals (went 1.18, should have been early/mid 1st round pick)
8. Chance Sisco, Atanta Braves (went 4.21, should have been late 1st round pick)
9. Chase Anderson, Los Angeles Dodgers (went 4.13, should have been late 1st/early 2nd round pick)
10. Rafael Devers, St. Louis Cardinals (went 2.04, should have been mid 1st round pick)
11. Marcos Molina, St. Louis Cardinals (went 5.09, should have been early 2nd round pick)
12. Sean Newcomb, Baltimore Orioles (went 2.06, should have been late 1st round pick)

...and here are some of the worst picks in retrospect:

Nick Petree, Los Angeles Dodgers (went 1.21, should have been 4th/5th round pick)
Kevin Siegrist, Pittsburgh Pirates (went 1.25, should have been 4th/5th round pick)
Fernando Romero, Chicago White Sox (went 2.27, should have been 5th round pick)
Tyler Kolek, San Diego Padres (went 1.04, should have been mid 1st round pick)
Brady Aiken, St. Louis Cardinals (went 1.01, should have been Top 10 overall pick)
Raimel Tapia, Baltimore Orioles (went 1.05, should have been late 1st round pick)

There are five teams whose drafts really stood out:

1. Colorado Rockies:  Roenis Elias and Ryan Rua were acceptable picks for their slots, but every other selection was pretty awful...except for that Jacob DeGrom fellow, which makes Ken look like a genius.  No other team came close to reaping this much value in their draft.
2. Washington Nationals:  Every single one of Jason's picks was solid, with the exception of his successful swipe of Steven Matz well beyond when the hurler should have been taken.  Matz was a huge bargain, and helped the team clinch the #2 spot, though they're well behind Colorado.
3. Arizona Diamondbacks:  With only two picks, Larry chose Nate Karns (perfectly acceptable) and Kyle Schwarber (which at the time seemed like a bad pick to me, but in retrospect was one of the best picks in the first round).  If Schwarber had a better shot at staying behind the plate he probably pushes the D-Backs ahead of Jason's draft
4. Kansas City Royals:  Jon had a ridiculous number of picks to jump-start his rebuilding with, and admittedly several of them were poor value selections in hindsight (and several were solid values, which is hard to do in the second and third rounds).  The two big first round picks - where much of the draft's value lay - were huge successes, though; kudos to the Royals for having exactly the sort of draft they needed to in terms of converting theoretical (draft pick) value into concrete (prospect) value.
5. Toronto Blue Jays:  Steven Souza and Marcus Semien were both very nice picks, although the Jays had their share of overdrafts as well.  It was Collin McHugh, though, that ensures Scot's draft as one of the five fantastic efforts of 2014.

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #361 on: 28 Feb 2015 3:27:20 PM »
At this point, I'd put Wes Parsons (Indians) among the worst picks.   I'm a sucker for 6'5" right-handed pitchers, but I wish I had a do-over with that 2nd round pick.
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Cardinals

« Reply #362 on: 28 Feb 2015 3:48:13 PM »
At this point, I'd put Wes Parsons (Indians) among the worst picks.   I'm a sucker for 6'5" right-handed pitchers, but I wish I had a do-over with that 2nd round pick.

He was one of the worst ten picks, but Brady Aiken - for example - was far more of a dud when you consider the expected value of the pick versus the actual return.  In fact if we look at it purely from a value-based perspective then Tyler Kolek is (currently) the worst pick in the draft, which seems nonsensical when you consider his upside and the fact that he's a solid B+ prospect.  It is -hard- getting a top pick right sometimes!