Author Topic: Trading/Waiving Disabled List Players  (Read 994 times)

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
Trading/Waiving Disabled List Players
« on: 16 May 2014 1:25:36 PM »
Folks, the EC recently received a question regarding a player currently on the Disabled List in our simulation and, specifically, whether such a player could be placed on waivers or traded.

The DMBO Official Rules do not explicitly forbid such trades, but there are two complicating factors:  (1) DMB does not allow trading of players on the DL and (2) there is some debate whether or not MLB itself allows such trading. We found a few sources suggesting MLB players can be traded while on the DL as long as the Commissioner gives explicit consent. Other sources seem to indicate that it is either very rare or not allowed at all. Sources were less divided concerning waivers and players on the DL are not allowed to be placed on waivers of any sort.

In the end we decided that it was an extra layer of unnecessary complexity for us to allow trades of players on the DL, since we would have to manually fiddle with the player database tables in the software before executing the trade. While these trades may (or may not) be technically legal in MLB, they are extremely rare and we noted other baseball software (such as Out of the Park Baseball) shares the DMB rule explicitly barring the trading of players on the DL. So, it seems like the cost to realism is pretty small while the benefit in reduced complexity is fairly large.

We will update the GM Desk at some point so players on the Disabled List cannot be designated for assignment or placed on waivers.

Apologies for any confusion this may have caused. And thanks for your patience while we tried to figure this stuff out!
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Reds MP

• Michael Phillips
  • EC
  • All-Star
Re: Trading/Waiving Disabled List Players
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2014 3:07:24 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.
Michael Phillips
GM, Cincinnati Reds

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2014 3:56:24 PM »
I'm not sure if this is about Travis Hafner or not, or if it changes anything if it is. But after I acquired him, the DMB software and the site didn't seem to have any trouble with moving him from the Mariners to the Blue Jays even though he was on the DL. (well, at least the DMB software didn't have a problem - I traded him from the Mariners to the Jays when I was updating my lineup, and didn't have any problem. It's possible the site software had problems, but that one of the admins fixed it to make it seem like there was no problem).

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Phillies TP

• Tom Parker
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2014 4:58:11 PM »
The inquiry was about Chad Gaudin, a DL'ed player waived by the Reds - the Phils had been awarded a provisional waiver claim and inquired about whether a trade was legal.

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014 2:31:57 AM »
There was a private follow up question regarding whether activation and trade can occur in same reporting period?

Yes, as long as the player can be activated in the software (i.e. has been on the DL for 15 days). (I actually had to check with other EC members on this one.)
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Cardinals

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2014 9:11:02 AM »
But after I acquired him, the DMB software and the site didn't seem to have any trouble with moving him from the Mariners to the Blue Jays even though he was on the DL. (well, at least the DMB software didn't have a problem - I traded him from the Mariners to the Jays when I was updating my lineup, and didn't have any problem. It's possible the site software had problems, but that one of the admins fixed it to make it seem like there was no problem).

That's good to know!  I remember having trouble doing that a few years back, although I'm pretty removed from disk duties at this point so my memory probably shouldn't be relied on.  Maybe it's worth revisiting the topic this off-season?

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2014 9:19:58 AM »
But after I acquired him, the DMB software and the site didn't seem to have any trouble with moving him from the Mariners to the Blue Jays even though he was on the DL. (well, at least the DMB software didn't have a problem - I traded him from the Mariners to the Jays when I was updating my lineup, and didn't have any problem. It's possible the site software had problems, but that one of the admins fixed it to make it seem like there was no problem).

That's good to know!  I remember having trouble doing that a few years back, although I'm pretty removed from disk duties at this point so my memory probably shouldn't be relied on.  Maybe it's worth revisiting the topic this off-season?

I remember having an issue in v10.  Perhaps it's a bug that was fixed in v10a?  Definitely worth discussing.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block