Author Topic: 2014 Autographs  (Read 677 times)

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
2014 Autographs
« on: 29 Apr 2014 12:21:40 PM »
As most of you know, I try to get 100 signatures in the Baseball America Prospect
Handbook evey year. I also try to get 8 autographs of "ball worthy players".
Earlier this year I got Jameis Winston and George Springer on baseballs. Last
night, the Daytona Cubs, who feature Albert Almora came into Lakeland for a 3 game
series. The way Lakeland is set up is that when a visiting player enters the stadium,
the quickest route to his dugout is past the autograph seekers.  There was probably
15 people lined up. Prior to the players coming out, it was pointed out that last year
Dan Vogelbach had refused to sign autographs all three nights of a series.

At 6:15 PM, Almora, Vogelbach, Rock Shoulders and a couple of other players and a
coach come out for a 6:30 game. The coach was Mariano Duncan. The players ignored
the autograph seekers, starting to walk around the infield to take a long route to their
dugout. Mariano Duncan then yelled "hey" and pointed to the autograph seekers. All
players then came over and signed. Kudos to Mariano Duncan.

Padres JG (Ret)

• John Guerry
  • All-Star
Re: 2014 Autographs
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2014 1:42:27 PM »
We play today, you sign today, das it

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2014 7:12:03 PM »
I haven't kept up with the baseball signings. Pete O'Brien of the Yankees put on an absolute show in the Florida State League, homering 10 times in 112 at bats. I didn't post his ball signing since he was draft eligable. He has since homered 13 times in 136 at bats in AA. I know the ratios are down but he can flat out hit. He didn't look terrible behind the plate but looked horrible in RF. I am still surprised that no one, especially an American League team, did not take him in out draft.

The next ball signing was Jake Thompson, who is also on my reserve list. For a 20 year old, he is doing very well in High A, and the scouts say he has 3 and maybe a 4th major league average pitch.

Next was Brandon Nimmo, who was recently promoted to AA. Whats impressive about him is that he has more walks than strike outs. He is a bigger kid who hustles all the time. He was also batting over 300.

Last week I got Derek Hill, the Tigers # 1 draft pick. As he is assigned to the GCL, I will see him at most Flying Tigers home games. I will try to make it out for a couple of rookie games. Unfortunately, they play on the back fields of the complex where there is one small bleacher and absolutely no shade. You can fry back there. I went to a game a couple of years ago and the attendance was 4, yes four.

Sunday I got Aaron Nola, as he was charting pitches in the stands. He pitched Monday night. For any Phillie fans out there, Dallas Green and Charlie Manual were both in the stands to watch him. They were very pleasant, and signed a lot of autographs and posed for pictures. No, I did not get an autograph.

If any old timers remember Joe McDonald, he was the Mets farm director in 1969 and their GM in 1973. He still scouts, working for the Boston Red Sox. He has become pretty good friends with my wife and I. I was watching a game about a month ago when I scout tapped me on my shoulder. He stated "Joe Mac said you may want my autograph". He then stated he was John Stearns. After he left I had my wife look up John Stearns on her phone. He was in the Tug Mcgraw trade. I later talked to Mr. McDonald and he was the GM who made the trade.

Jupiter (Marlins) and Bradenton (Pirates) still haven't come to Lakeland yet which means I may still get Colin Moran, Tyler Glasnow and Josh Bell. Lastly, my GCL plays the Astros and I will try to get Brady Aiken. Pitchers are tough as they don't travel in the GCL if they are not scheduled to pitch.

My current count for baseball games this year is 61.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2014 10:03:59 PM »
Had Colin Moran autograph a baseball on July 23 and had Tyler Glasnow autograph a ball last night. Unfortunately Josh Bell was recently promoted and did not get his autograph. As luck would have it, Tyler Glasnow sat in front of my wife while charting pitches. Along with my wife and her family (brother, his wife and 16 year old son who are all Pirate fans who live outside Pittsburgh) we spoke with him most of the night. Very nice kid. He is definately starting to fill out and not the 607, 195 that he is listed as. His next scheduled start is Sunday and looking forward to it.

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2014 12:16:55 PM »
Added Byron Buxton to my autographed ball collection Friday night. Looking at the schedule, it looks like he may be the last signed ball of the year. Of course, you never know who will show up at a fall instructional league game.

Larry