Author Topic: 2014 Batting Preview  (Read 549 times)

Diamondbacks LL

• Larry Linke
  • Hall of Famer
2014 Batting Preview
« on: 15 Feb 2014 7:59:38 PM »
The 2014 D-Backs will be strong defensively up the middle. I have a group of average batters (2 starters projected under 250) but my OBP will be hurting. I could also use an additional power hitter. Like my pitching, all players are under my control for 2015 except for one, Alcides Escobar. I have options on Pedro Florimon and Jarrod Dyson. I  have a black hole in LF. I am hoping that Dyson's split vs RHP IRL (274 AVG, 339 OBP ) and Raburn's vs LHP IRL (308 AVG, 403 OBP will lead to a favorable projection). If not, I may have to start Chris Heisey in LF. With each batter I will include their projected AVG and defense rating

C   Yadier Molina           293        +9       what is there to say
1B  Allen Craig              284        -1        to successive 300 season IRL
2B  D J Lemahieu           286        +4       acquired for "D", same projection as Jose Altuve offensively
SS  Alcides Escobar       259        +3       hopefully sures up the IF
3B  Pedro Alvarez          234        -2       if he could only be consistant
LF  see above
CF  Dennard Span          272       +8        wish he got on base more
RF  Yasiel Puig              284        +2        I hope he turns into a stud

Reserves

C   Austin Romine          241         -1       If Molina gets hurt, don't be surprised to see Phegley
IF  Joaquin Arias           259         +2      will relieve Alvarez, plays 5 positions
SS Pedro Florimon         232          +1     signed as potential starter in 2015, has some pop in his bat
OF Ryan Raburn, Jarrod Dyson or Chris Heisey

RESERVE ROSTER

C  Josh Phegley    Will be the starter for the Chicago White Sox but will need to hit to keep the job.
1B Tyler Moore     Outstanding power but doesn't get enough AB's to get into a groove and earn a       
                         good projection. Until Dyson was signed may have been platooned in LF.
2B Jose Altuve      2012 National League All Star with 340 OBP. Slumped in 2013 and "D" is sloowllyy
                          improving
SS Ruben Tejeda   Will be red-shirted this year. Will hopefully start for the Mets IRL and battle
                          Florimon for the starting job next year.
OF Jorge Bonifacio  top 100 prospect for the Kansas City Royals, expected to start the season in AA
OF Juan Duran       high profile Dominican signing for the Reds 6 years ago, starting to put it   
                          together, will play in AA after hitting 20 home runs last year (although Cal league)
OF Everett Williams was supposed to be the next Michael Stanton, big disappointment, has been
                           injured, will be in AA this year
OF Brett Eibner       Kansas City officials claim he finally put it together, hope they are right.

Also on the rosster are Nick Noonan, Jordany Valdespin (picture under defination of head case),
Jerry Sands and Bobby Borchering. These four guys will be fighting for 2 spots on the 50 man when the draft starts.