Author Topic: World Series, Game 6  (Read 3157 times)

Robb

World Series, Game 6
« on: 27 Oct 2005 8:06:53 PM »
2005 DMBO World Series, Game 6

Minnesota at St. Louis (Cardinals lead series 3 games to 2)

The Twins forced this series back to St. Louis and were looking to force a Game 7.  Minnesota made an unusual post-season decision by starting a sixth different pitcher in Game 6, using Kyle Lohse who had gone 6-8 with a 3.34 ERA in the regular season.  In the 2005 playoffs, Lohse had gone 1-0 with a 7.17 ERA over 2 starts, 11.1 innings.  The Cardinals were forced to go with Jason Kershner due to the Game 2 injury to Carlos Silva.  Kershner went 11-4 with a 4.55 ERA in the regular season.  In the 2005 playoffs, Kershner only had one previous outing, giving up 2 runs, 1 earned, over 1.1 innings of relief in Game 2 of the World Series, giving him a 6.75 ERA.

Kershner retired the side in the 1st inning with no problems, needing only 9 pitches to do so.  In the bottom half of the inning, the Cardinal offense went to work.  Eric Bruntlett led off the game with a single, followed by a Jim Edmonds double.  Albert Pujols and Eric Chavez followed with back to back RBI groundouts to give the Cardinals an early 2-0 lead.

In the top of the 2nd, the injury problems that had plagued this series continued.  Kershner retired Torii Hunter on 2 pitches, but on the last throw he experienced discomfort in his throwing arm.  Kershner had to be pulled from the game, forcing the Cardinals to go to Game 4 starter Sidney Ponson, who had giving up 6 runs, 4 earned, over 3.1 innings.

Much to the delight of the home town crowd, Ponson entered the game and retired the first 5 batters he faced.  In the 4th inning he gave up back to back singles to Rafael Furcal and Lew Ford with none out, but got out of the inning with a double play and a pop out.  The Cardinals still led 2-0 heading into the bottom of the 4th.  With 2 outs in the bottom of the 4th, Doug Mirabelli hit a leadoff single on the 1st pitch he saw.  Geoff Jenkins then strode to the plate and mashed a 2-2 pitch into left-center field, giving Ponson and the Cardinals a 4-0 lead.  

Adrian Beltre finally got the Twins on the board in the 6th inning, hitting a 2 out solo home run off of Ponson.  Hunter then followed with a single, before Justin Morneau worked the count to 3-1.  But on what appeared to be ball 4, Morneau hit a hard groundball to 1st base which was fielded by Pujols for the out.  Eric Chavez, however, hit a solo home run in the bottom of the 6th to get the run back for St. Louis.  The Cardinals led 5-1 after 6.

In the top of the 7th inning, Ponson got into a jam.  Joe Mauer hit a 1 out single, followed by a Aaron Boone walk.  Rafael Furcal eventually loaded the bases with 2 outs with an infield single, chasing Ponson and bringing in Brian Meadows.  Larry Bigbie worked the count to 1-2 before striking out on a fastball to end the half inning with the tying run stranded at 1st base.

In the bottom of the same inning, the Cardinals put a nail into the Twins coffin.  Wiki Gonzalez hit a leadoff double, followed by a Bruntlett single.  Pujols drove in 1 run with a weak come-backer to the pitcher, which should have been an out.  Then Mark Loretta drove a pitch down the left field line with 2 men on and 2 outs, giving the Cardinals an 9-1 lead after 7 innings.

The Twins managed to put 2 runners on base in the 9th inning, but it just wasn’t meant to be this year.  The St. Louis Cardinals won the game, and the series, closing out Busch Stadium in style.  Brian Meadows got the win, Kyle Lohse the loss.

After the game, Albert Pujols was named the World Series MVP.  Pujols led all players in the series with a 3 home runs, 7 RBI, 8 runs scored, a .704 SLG, and a 1.104 OPS.  He was also among the series leaders with a .333 average (2nd), .400 OBP (2nd), 9 hits (3rd), 4 extra base hits (3rd), and 3 walks (3rd).

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
World Series, Game 6
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2005 9:05:21 PM »
Congrats to the cards!!!  NLC is a tough division.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Jon(White Sox)

World Series, Game 6
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2005 6:44:06 AM »
Congratulations Robb on your Cardinals!  Erik, awesome year for those Twins.  Good job representing the AL Central.  My DMBO fingers are itching for a World Series ring.  I guess I'll have to just celebrate the White Sox' 2005 World Series championship some more to compensate!

What a great year in the DMBO.  Already looking forward to the offseason and 2006.

Jon

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
World Series, Game 6
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2005 7:17:21 AM »
Nicely done, Robb.  

And kudos to Erik for a really nice run.

And, a major "attaboy" to all of the GM's, and especially the EC, for the best season ever (in my opinion).
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Orioles TK

• Tracy Kienast
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
World Series, Game 6
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2005 7:55:32 AM »
Congrats Robb on the WS win.  Erik, awesome season.

It was an awesome season and it has been a great 4 seasons so far.  I'm looking forward to the next 21 seasons or so....

Tracy
O's GM
AL Wildcard 2003, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2018
AL East Champion 2008, 2009

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
World Series, Game 6
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2005 9:48:43 AM »
Congratulations to the Cardinals on capping off an excellent year with the WS win. Often times the "best" team in the league doesn't end up winning the world series - this year, I think it's safe to say that the best team did win.

And congratulations to the Twins - nobody expected much from thwe Twins this year, but Erik did an amazing job putting together a top-notch team that deserved to be in the world series.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Robb

World Series, Game 6
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2005 2:03:46 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm not sold that I was the best team in DMBO this year, but I was deep, and I certainly caught some breaks.  (Santana hurt in the WS, Penny in the NLCS).  And no offense to the Twins, who were a great team, but the A's scared the crap out of me.  I haven't analyzied it with any depth, but I guess their defense was the chink in the armor that cost them the World Series this year.

I'm looking forward to 2006.  This should be the year where my farm system starts having an impact on my team.  Whether that's good or bad, we'll know soon enough....

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
World Series, Game 6
« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2005 2:23:29 PM »
Quote from: "Robb"

I'm looking forward to 2006.  This should be the year where my farm system starts having an impact on my team.  Whether that's good or bad, we'll know soon enough....

Oh goodie!  Cheap, young talent ready to play a role for the World Champs.  How comforting for the rest of us.   :cry:
INDIANS GM (Retired)