Author Topic: ALDS, Games 3 and 4  (Read 1369 times)

Robb

ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« on: 6 Oct 2005 10:11:10 PM »
American League Division Series

Oakland at Baltimore (Oakland Leads Series 2 Games to 0)

Game 3

Trailing 2 games to 0, the Orioles returned to Baltimore hoping for a miracle. The Os sent southpaw Noah Lowry (11-8, 4.76) to the hill, who was countered by Cy Young candidate Carlos Zambrano (19-4, 3.24).

The As took an early lead in the 1st inning when Todd Helton scored on a groundout by Dallas McPherson.  Not ready to give up, the Os answered in the bottom of the 2nd inning with a sacrifice fly off the bat of Shea Hillenbrand.  The score was 1-1 after 2 innings.

Oakland managed to build a lead in the 3rd inning with a 3 run home run off the bat of Mike Lowell, giving the As and Zambrano a 4 to 1 lead.  The score stayed there until the 6th inning, when Brian Giles chased Lowry out of the game with an RBI single.  Jeremy Affeldt relieved for Lowry and gave up another run this one a single off the bat of Mark Bellhorn to put the As up 6 to 1.

Fast forward to the bottom of the 9th inning, with the As leading 7 to 2.  Closer Scott Williamson struck out Tadahito Iguchi for the 1st out of the inning, after having retired the last 2 batters in the 8th.    After that, things started getting tight.  Juan Pierre hit a single, followed by a Coco Crisp double and a Ivan Rodriguez walk to load the bases and give the home town crowd hope.  David Ortiz then drew a bases loaded walk to put the score at 7 to 3 As and bring the tying run to the plate and chase Williamson out of the game.  Miguel Tejada hit a sacrifice fly to centerfield to bring the Os to within 3, but it also left the Os with 1 out to work with.  With the tying runs still on base, Jayson Bay swung at the first pitch he saw and flied out to right field.  The final score was 7 to 4 Athletics with Zambrano getting the win, Lowry the Loss, and Bump the save.

Minnesota at Toronto (Series Tied at 1 game each.)

Game 3

The Blue Jays returned home to Toronto staring at what could be considered a must-win situation with Johan Santana ready to start Game 4. This game featured Mike Mussina (8-4, 3.77) for the home town Jays, countered by bad luck pitcher Kyle Lohse (6-8, 3.34) for the Twins.

The Twins got a 1st inning home run off the bat of Adrian Beltre a 2 run shot to take the early lead.  But today, 2 runs wasnt going to get it done.  Bill Mueller hit a home run in the bottom of the 1st inning to put the score at 2 to 1 Twins before Minnesota put 4 more runs on the board in the 2nd and 3rd innings.

With the score at 6 to 1 in the bottom of the 4th inning, the Jays started got some runs back.  Carlos Lee claimed off of waivers from Baltimore in mid-season hit a 2 run home run to put the score at 6 to 3.  But the Twins offense was destined to rule the day.  Minnesota scored 2 runs in the 5th inning, followed by 5 more in the 6th to give the visiting team a 13 to 3 lead.  The Blue Jays made things somewhat interesting by putting 5 more runs on the board, but the end result of this game was never really in doubt, as the Twins won 13 to 8.  Lohse got the win, Mussina the loss.

Game 4

Johan Santana (20-7, 2.85) was the starter for the visiting Twins, countered by Game 1 starter Roy Oswalt (17-8, 4.14) who pitched 8 innings of 1 run ball just four days earlier.

The Jays struck first, scoring a run in the bottom of the 1st inning thanks to an error by Santana.  With that unearned run in, however, both starters settled in for a stretch, with the score still 1 to 0 Toronto after 4 innings.  

In the top of the 5th inning, Joe Mauer led off the inning with a double, quickly followed by a Juan Pierre single, putting runners at the corners.  Julio Lugo then booted a double play ball to short, allowing a run and keeping 2 runners on base.  That error really opened up the floodgates, and when the dust cleared, the Twins had put a 4 spot on the board.  The Jays werent ready to give up, though.  Bobby Abreu drew a 2 out walk and was followed by a Justin Leone home run, pulling Toronto back to within just 1 run of the lead.  The Blue Jays then got a Lugo RBI single in the 6th inning to tie the game.

With the score tied in the top of the 7th inning, Erubiel Durazo hit a 3 run home run his 2nd of the series to give the Twins a late 3 run lead.  In the bottom of the 8th inning, Bill Mueller hit his 2nd home run of the series his a solo shot  to put the scroe at 7 to 5 after 8 innings.  

In the bottom of the 9th inning, Bobby Abreu hit a 1 out double to chase Steve Karsay out of the game and bring in Grant Balfour.  Orlando Hudson grounded out to short for the 2nd out of the inning, followed by a Calvin Pickering walk.  Representing the winning run, Mike Cameron swung at a 0-1 pitch, grounding it to 2nd base to seal the Minnesota series win.  In the game, Nathan got the win for Minnesota, with Stewart and Karsay getting holds, and Balfour the save.  Scott Shields of the Blue Jays took the loss.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2005 9:53:06 AM »
And so it ends for the Jays :(

Congratulations to to Twins. As disappointed as I am that I won't be playing, I've got to say that the ALCS should be one hell of a series.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Orioles TK

• Tracy Kienast
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2005 10:44:37 AM »
Congrats to the A's.

Can't say I'm surprised at all as my team has faded badly in August and September.  With the fade I knew I didn't have much of a shot and the A's made it a quick exit with the pounding they gave my pitching.

It should be a very good ALCS.

Tracy
AL Wildcard 2003, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2018
AL East Champion 2008, 2009
WS Champ 2018

Robb

ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2005 11:17:50 AM »
The Blue Jays and Orioles had great seasons, and I hate to see them both go down without pushing the series to 5 games - but man, there is no shame in losing out to the A's or the Twins.  Both of those teams are stacked this year.  (Revenue Sharing strikes again.)

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2005 11:32:46 AM »
Going in, I didn't think either the Jays or the O's were "underdogs" like the standings would've represented.  They played in a tough division.  And, played eachother a lot.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2005 12:03:19 PM »
The Twins amazed me this year.  I knew they'd be good, but I had no idea they'd be THIS good.  Since they're from my division, I'll have to root for them.

And what can I say about Tom?  He quietly fields a great team every single year.  

I think that either of these teams will be a great representative, and will have legitimate shot to keep the WS Trophy in the American League.
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Athletics GAT

• G. Alex Tays
  • Financial Model Working Group
  • All-Star
  • I've got a bad case of the yips.
ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2005 12:24:48 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind words...and thanks to the O's for a catching my team at the right time.   :)   I think my A's may be trying to make up for prior playoff implosions.

I look forward to a tough series with the Twins, and hope for success.  Thus far in this league, the Twins have been the A's achilles heel in the playoffs.  I believe they've knocked us out in two of the three previous seasons.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2005 1:49:37 PM »
While I would have preferred to win, it was a good series. 4-3 Twins. 5-2 Jays. 4-3 Twins. 1-0 Twins. Each of the 3 games I lost I lost by a single run, including the first game in 17 innings. With a few breaks, things could have turned out differently. But they didn't, and so congratulations to the Twins.

OF course, the rest of the way I have to pull for the Twins, so that I can argue that since I got knocked out by the team that won the world series, the Jays were actually the second best team in DMBO who had the misfortune to play the best team in the first round. ;)

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Robb

ALDS, Games 3 and 4
« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2005 6:31:55 PM »
Note the write-ups have been modified.  (It's a long story.)