Author Topic: Mets General Discussion - 2012  (Read 1336 times)

Mets PA

• Phil Anderson
  • All-Star
Mets General Discussion - 2012
« on: 19 Jan 2012 1:31:59 PM »
Well clearly I am rebuilding, so this might be the most boring general discussion blog on the site! However, Matt Moore received his rating today and got a fairly decent one. This of course will bring up the age old debate of protecting service time and I think it is worth some discussion. For reference:

Player                T     Age    ERA     W    L    G   GS     IP       H   ER    HR   BB    K    ERA+
Matt Moore        L     23    3.72    10    7   29   27  145.0  126   60   14   69  150  109

So which way should the pendalum swing? Does the rating warrant using him since he will be my best pitcher on a weak pitching team with little financial cost? Or is the ranking not strong enough to warrant wasting a year of service time when I am still 2 years away from competeing?

I am 95% sure I will keep him off the MLB roster this year. I had pretty much decided this long before his rating came out. I simply see no incentive for using a year of his service time. I will be lucky to get 65 wins this year.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2012 11:11:37 AM by Mets »

Yanks GM

Re: Mets General Discussion - 2011
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2012 1:34:50 PM »
I would keep him in the minors for now, no reason to waist a YOS if you have no chance of going to the playoffs.

Pirates LW

• Larry Waters
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2012 7:26:56 PM »
If I was in the NY market I'd probably bench him also. But if he was in Pittsburgh, I'd start him. Winning increases your payroll for all clubs, but in small markets losing has the ability to crater your payroll rather quickly.

In some areas, the guidelines for Big vs Little differ.
Larry Waters
Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates

Avoiding disasters with occasional brilliance

Cardinals

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2012 9:36:43 PM »
Agreed with Larry.  I'd be tempted to play him, but New York is a ridiculous market; there's a lot less need to worry about wins year in and year out.

Cardinals

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2012 10:59:37 AM »
One thing I -would- do, though, is promote Liam Hendriks and put him in the rotation.  He's probably a 2 WAR pitcher this year, around-about, so that's money you don't have to spend for a short-term rotation filler.  It also means one fewer reserve roster spot being clogged.

Mets PA

• Phil Anderson
  • All-Star
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2012 11:36:14 AM »
Twas the night before T2, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The scouting reports were hung by the computer with care,
In hopes that a deal soon would be there.

Probably the most exciting time of the year for the majority of the league.  I can honestly say I have already changed my bid 7 times and I am sure I will change it at least 5 more before midnight.

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2012 12:43:29 PM »
What a ridiculous April line for Hamilton!
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block