Author Topic: New York Yankees - General Discussion  (Read 1369 times)

Yanks GM

New York Yankees - General Discussion
« on: 3 Jan 2012 2:55:16 PM »
In the past week the we have made 2 moves to finish filling out their rotation. 

The first was getting Danks from the Reds and the second deal was getting Billingsly from the Cardinals.

We felt that it would be easier on us going into FA if we did fill some holes before it started.  First deal we moved Jesse Crain to get Danks from the Reds and he will fill in nicely in most likely the 4 slot in the rotation.  The second deal was one that we went back and forth on for awhile because while we didn't have to trade any player from our active or reserve roster we did send a lot of cash the Cards way in 2013 and 2014 to bring Billingsly over.  We are hoping that adding him will help us win enough more games that in the long run it will not even up hurting us more than helping us.  However if he can return to his 2008-2010 form then we really will feel good about this trade.

Here is how our rotation is most likely going to end up looking like at the begging of the year.

Jeremy Hellickson ( waiting projections)
Chad Billingsly (3.74 ERA, 101 ERA+)
Ervin Santana (4.19 ERA, 97 ERA+)
John Danks (4.21 ERA, 102 ERA+)
Marco Estrada (4.03 ERA, 100 ERA+) / Matt Harrison ( waiting projections)

While there is no ace on this staff we feel we have 5 good pitchers here that will keep us in games night in and night out.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2012 8:49:04 PM by Yankees TC »

Royals JC (Ret)

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Re: Yanks strike 2 deals to fill out the rotation...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2012 9:26:28 AM »
I'm actually a little surprised that your starters don't get more love from ZiPS.  Looking at those 5 (or 6) names, I would not have expected to see Santana have the lowest projected ERA+ of the four finished names.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Yanks GM

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2012 10:04:21 AM »
Yeah i was a little more than surprised at the Zips he got to be honest with you.  I think he get screwed pretty badly there.

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2012 2:58:53 PM »
Nobody is getting love from Zips this year ! I'm actually having to temper my evaluation process as most projections seem to be lower across the board.
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Cardinals

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2012 3:58:40 PM »
Nyjer Morgan was probably as shocking a ZiPS as I've seen so far, although I understand a huge part of his nifty 2011 season was BABIP-fueled.  So yeah, I can see why you'd be grumpy too, John!

Marlins JM

• John Mondo
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2012 4:15:49 PM »
Yeah.. Morgan's zips really hacked me off, as did Dexter Fowlers. Morgan did receive EX ratings in all three outfield positions though and that realistically is why I signed him last year.
Losingest team in DMBO History... by an ASSLOAD

Braves MQ

• Michael Quinn
  • Cleanup Hitter
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2012 5:35:39 PM »
I've not followed ZIPS as closely as you guys have as none of my leagues utilized these projections but I do visit fan graphs frequently and it seems that ZIPS projections tend to be lower than the other projections featured. 
Braves GM

I'm a man, just a man, nothing more, nothing less

Yanks GM

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2012 7:29:24 AM »
Nobody is getting love from Zips this year ! I'm actually having to temper my evaluation process as most projections seem to be lower across the board.

Not at all, well certain ones are getting very good zips for the #'s that they have put up in the majors.

Yanks GM

Re: New York Yankees - General Discussion
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2012 8:55:05 PM »
After losing out on Haren we decided to go out and try to get an ace another way and we did that today.  We went back and forth a couple times on the offer that we got from the Royals and end the end we decided to go for it.  We might have given up a bit more than what we wanted to give up, but we figured in the end getting a known very good SP was worth giving up 3 what go be good players in the future.

Yanks GM

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2012 11:15:29 AM »
Well, the Yanks have been pretty busy since trading started this off-season.

So far here is the infusion of talent we have brought in that will help this year to try to jump  start this team and make the playoffs this year.

Robinson Cano - 2B
Adam Jones - OF
Carlos Gomez - OF
Cliff Lee - SP
Jaime Garcia - SP

Cardinals

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2012 11:19:23 AM »
According to the TA votes, I think you're the early favorite for GM of the Year!

Yanks GM

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2012 11:19:56 AM »
Still got to win games as that is all that matters.