Author Topic: Royals General Discussion  (Read 11960 times)

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
Re: Royals General Discussion
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2012 8:46:48 AM »
Power Outage in Kaufman?  Whitey-ball Stealing KC?

Are the two above questions possible headlines in KC as we move toward opening day?  This off season has seen the Royals trade a couple of hitters with plus power away, leaving Alfonso Soriano as the only projected regular with more than 20 Home Runs in the 2011 DMBO season.  Gamel certainly has the power to eclipse the 20 Home Run mark, and if stem cell therapy were legal in DMBO, perhaps Scott Rolen could have a renaissance year in 2012 as well.

On the flip side, Nishioka and Jackson could eclipse 20 stolen bases pretty easily in 2012.  Kotchman relies more on his OBP than SLG when getting his OPS.  At this rate, the 2012 Royals could look more like a 1980's squad than a 2000's one by the time opening day rolls around.

There is definitely still time to change that philosophy in free agency, but maybe the question that should be posed is, "Should the Royals change that philosophy?".  Kaufman Stadium is known as a pitchers park.  Home Runs aren't overly easy to come by; a fact refuted by Carlos Pena over recent years.  However, the outfield is spacious.  It's actually a park that sees an above average number of doubles and triples hit comparatively.  Going forward, maybe it makes more sense for the Royals to look into line drive hitters with gap power rather than the traditional power hitting players.  Then again, chicks dig the long ball, and it sure does help to have a true power presence planted in your lineup.  Time will tell if the lineup the Royals look to start at this point is a product of planning or happenstance.
Jon Carney - Kansas City Royals GM

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Marlins JA

• Jonathan Adelman
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jan 2012 2:00:35 PM »
After that VG defensive rating at third base, Jose Lopez might even suddenly have become a useful trade chip!  He's probably a 2 WAR third baseman, and there are several teams that could use something like that.

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jan 2012 3:59:21 PM »
Depending on Tier 2 starts to unfold, I have that in mind.  If things fall just right in Tier 2, I can move him. If not, I have my probable starting 2B against RHP. I was expecting to see an OPS+ in the mid 80s, so I'm pretty excited.

He also doubles and good insurance if/when Rolen gets hurt.

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Marlins JA

• Jonathan Adelman
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb 2012 5:15:44 PM »
Here's what CAIRO has to say about Harden, Harrison, Minor, and Porcello:

Harden:  4.49 ERA, -0.30 LRA-ERA, 1.8 WAR assuming 180 innings
Harrison:  4.08 ERA, 0.11 LRA-ERA, 2.8 WAR assuming 180 innings
Minor:  4.01 ERA, -0.05 LRA-ERA, 2.3 WAR assuming 180 innings
Porcello:  4.42 ERA, -0.23 LRA-ERA, 1.9 WAR assuming 180 innings

So Porcello probably goes to the minors, Harden's the fifth starter with an ERA+ in the low/mid 90s?  Hard to tell; there are always plenty of players that ZiPS likes a lot better/worse than CAIRO.

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2012 9:40:50 AM »
Tier 2 Week 1 recap

The Royals added 3 players in the first week of Tier 2 free agency.  The most exciting acquisition from an offensive standpoint was probably David Ross on day 2 of free agency.  Ross provides a 102 OPS+ projection from the catcher spot, and will immediately step into a starting role for the Royals.  Melky Cabrera signed with the Royals on the first day of free agency, and will slot into right field this year.  The Royals locked up the outfielder for 4 seasons at $5 million per season.  Cabrera is coming off an outstanding RL season, and should he put together another good season, this signing could end up a steal for the Royals.  The Royals also shored up their bullpen by adding veteran left handed pitcher Jeremy Affeldt.  Affeldt gives the Royals yet another solid option to help bridge to Soriano at the end of games, and should be a valuable member of the team.

The week wasn't without it's disappointments, though.  The Royals missed out on the chance to upgrade at the SS position as Rafael Furcal, Marco Scutaro, and Jerry Hairston all slipped through the cracks.  Missing out on Furcal may haunt the Royals, as he was probably the best available SS this offseason and went for less than half of what the less talented (but more versatile) Scutaro and Hairston went.  The Royals didn't even make a bid on Furcal, sighting other - more pressing - needs.  Later in the week, they lost Scutaro and Hairston to greener pastures.

Going forward, sources say the Royals will be looking to upgrade the bench - with specific needs already identified.  Sources also say the Royals may be looking to upgrade the starting SS position with remaining cap room.

Stay tuned!

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2012 9:32:14 AM »
Royal Decree

As free agency starts to wind down, the roster for the 2012 Royals has really started to take shape.  Donnie Murphy - and his AV range rating and slightly above average glove - was brought in to start at SS in 2012 and Nishioka was shipped off to the west coast for a 2013 3rd round draft pick.  The Royals have now shifted their focus to upgrading the bench.  Barring a surprising finding in the next few days and without digging too much into platoon splits and LH/RH tendencies, the Royals starting lineup will probably look something like this:

Vs. Right Handers
Casey Kotchman - 1B
Brett Jackson - CF
Mat Gamel - DH
Melky Cabrera - RF
Scott Rolen - 3B
David Ross - C
Alfonso Soriano - LF
Jose Lopez - 2B
Donnie Murphy - SS

Vs. Left Handers
Casey Kotchman - 1B
Brett Jackson - CF
Mat Gamel - DH
Melky Cabrera - RF
Scott Rolen - 3B
David Ross - C
Alfonso Soriano - LF
Donnie Murphy - SS
Jeff Keppinger - 2B
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2012 10:04:53 AM by Royals »

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Marlins JA

• Jonathan Adelman
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm (Ret)
« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2012 1:31:48 PM »
Harden ends up with a 91 ERA+, so he's not great but he's not so much better than Porcello that you have to waste the youngster's service time.

After crunching all the numbers and applying a correction factor to account for just how much HARDER it is to play in the DMBO's American League, I have the Royals winning 77 games "on paper" and finishing in fourth place behind the 80-win Indians and the two super-teams.

And that's impressive when you think about how much talent you traded away (Jay Bruce, David Price, etc.)!

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #37 on: 15 Feb 2012 4:53:21 PM »
Hopefully we finish at least 4 wins better than your projections, Jonathan!

You are definitely right re: Harden.  He'll be the 5th starter, and depending on how the year goes, Hunter or Porcello will be the first call up if/when Harden gets hurt.  Hunter if I completely suck at building and leading a team, Porcello if things are going as I hope they do.

I was glad to see that my belief in Guzman's stats and peripherals weren't completely misplaced.  He actually has good enough projection numbers to start in LF over Soriano if he doesn't sim well this year.  He could also get a look at 1B or RF depending on how lineups shake out.

I guess if the Royals finish with 77 wins (same as 2011) but have a large youth infusion, enjoy a much deeper and stronger farm system, and improve through the draft, I can't be all that upset.  However, I still hope we'll enjoy a modest improvement in record over 2011 in a very tough AL Central and our prospects/draft picks will enjoy good RL years.  While there was a lot more moving and shaking than I would have liked on the roster this off season, I'm generally pleased with where it all led.  There are a few B and B+ prospects scattered in the system now...some nearly ready and others a few years away...along with a TON of youth at SP on the active roster.  In the business plan I turned in for my application I think I went on for pages and pages (only a slight exaggeration!) about my desire to have a young, cost-effective, pitching staff.  I don't mind spending FA dollars on a SP, but I don't want to have to invest tens of millions in just above league average guys.  Small market teams can't survive that way.  It's nice to be there after one off season rather than the three I thought it would take to get there.  I'm ready to get this thing rolling!!

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2012 4:23:27 PM »
The Royals are in SoCal and ready to match up with the Angels on Opening Day!  The team is full of early season optimism even with the Tigers and White Sox towering over the rest of the division.  A fast start will really help to build confidence moving forward, but the team knows there's a long grind ahead.

The Royals will trot lefty Matt Harrison out against the Angels on opening day, with fellow left handers Madison Bumgarner and Aroldis Chapman starting the remaining two games in the series.

Here's the lineup card for your Kansas City Royals!

1. Casey Kotchman (L) - 1B
2. Jesus Guzman (R) - LF
3. Mat Gamel (L) - DH
4. Melky Cabrera (S) - RF
5. Scott Rolen (R) - 3B
6. Brett Jackson (L) - CF
7. David Ross (R) - C
8. Mark Ellis (R) - 2B
9. Donnie Murphy (R) - SS

SP - Matt Harrison

PLAY BALL!

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #39 on: 26 Apr 2012 10:20:08 AM »
They Royals stumbled their way to a 2-7 start through the first full week of play in 2012.  Close games were the downfall of the team, and the team has left a ridiculous 60 runners stranded on base through their first nine.  The schedule really takes a turn for the worse as the next two series involve Detroit and Toronto.  Let's hope the DMBO Royals stop following in the footsteps of their RL counterparts!

Who's Hot:
David Ross - .462/.533/.500, 1 Double, 4 RBI, 4 BB
Brett Jackson - .382/.432/.647, 2 Doubles, 2 Triples, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 SB
Mark Ellis - .379/.429/.458, 2 Doubles, 3 RBI, 2 HBP
Matt Capps - 0.00 ERA, 5 appearances
Mike Minor - 2 Starts, 2.79 ERA, 10 K, 3 BB

Who's Not:
The Rest of the Pitching Staff - 6.02 ERA, 'nuff said
Jesus Guzman - .154/.195/.256
Casey Kotchman - .211/.256/.237
Mat Gamel - .250/.250/.250, ZERO extra base hits

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #40 on: 2 May 2012 5:31:57 PM »
The Royals came out of week two of play squarely in the cellar of the AL Central...and the AL.  As it stands though, can anyone really be too upset at the start the Royals have seen?  The Angels have the best record in the AL thus far (Royals went 1-2), Oakland is the only team under .500 that the Royals have faced (Royals went 1-2), Cleveland took a series from the White Sox early in the year (Royals went 0-3), and Toronto and Detroit are in the lead and tied for the lead in their respective divisions (Royals went 1-2 against both).  I think it's possible to argue that if the Royals were 6-9 the front office may be quietly high-fiving.

In reality, a 2-4 week shows glimpses of improvement when the six games were against Detroit and Toronto. The upcoming week does show opportunities to pick up some ground.  The Royals finish their series against the Blue Jays (with a chance to split!) and then take their show on the road to Cleveland and Minnesota.  A 4-3 record - heck, winning a series! - would go a long way toward soothing some early season concern from fans and owners alike.  Look for the manager to try and capitalize on Brett Jackson's hot start by bumping him to leadoff and shaking things up in the RBI spots.

In trade news, the Royals have shipped Alfonso Soriano to Philadelphia in return for Ryan Dempster.  Dempster steps in as the Royals 5th starter immediately and bumps Rich Harden to the bullpen and spot starting duties.

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #41 on: 8 May 2012 8:56:33 AM »
Week 3 proved to show some signs of life in your Kansas City Royals!

The boys in blue started out the week with a chance to split against mighty Toronto; and should have walked away with just that.  A 9th inning implosion cost the Royals a big, big win, and Toronto walked away with the series 3-1.

The rest of the week proved to be very positive, though.  The Royals won two games apiece against Cleveland and Minnesota and finished the week 4-3 with their first two series wins of 2012.

Ryan Dempster had a solid start in his first turn through the rotation, but did not get a decision.

Moving Brett Jackson to leadoff proved to be beneficial, and though his bat profiles long term as needing him more in an RBI spot, it seems like the Royals are happy to let him start things off.

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #42 on: 9 May 2012 5:43:27 PM »
Week 4!

The debut of Logan Morrison in a Royals uniform!  Another blown save!  Exciting baseball and stuff!

The Royals split their series with the Pinstripes and dropped two of three to the Tigers.  Even with a 3-4 week, the Royals managed to climb out of the cellar of the AL and the AL Central.  Next up, it's Sox week!  Three at home against the Red and then we hit the road for three against the White.

Who's Hot (Last 7 Days):
Melky Cabrera: .406/.441/.594, 2 2B, 2 3B, 4 RBI, 1 SB
Brett Jackson: .355/.394/.516, 2 2B, HR, 2 SB
Ryan Dempster: 8.0 IP, 1 QS, 2.25 ERA, 5 H, 3 K, 2 BB
Jeremy Affeldt: 3 G, 1 Save, 4 K, 1 BB, 0.00 ERA

Who's Not (Last 7 Days):
David Ross: .115/.172/.231, 1 HR, 10 K
Donnie Murphy: .174/.240/.261, 1 3B, 7 K
Madison Bumgarner: 3.2 IP, 12.27 ERA, 2 K, 3 BB
Mike Minor: 0-2, 7.00 ERA, 4 HR, 4 K, 9 BB

Royals Blog
Trade Block

Red Sox KN

• Kris Neild
  • Cleanup Hitter
« Reply #43 on: 9 May 2012 6:32:57 PM »
You might get lucky and see your ole pal Bronson next week!

Royals JC

• Jon Carney
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #44 on: 10 May 2012 11:49:35 AM »
You might get lucky and see your ole pal Bronson next week!

We'll score 6 on him, and lose 7-6 because my bullpen can't hold a lead against the Little Sisters of the Poor :)

Royals Blog
Trade Block