Author Topic: Game 7 World Series  (Read 2287 times)

Anonymous

Game 7 World Series
« on: 10 Nov 2004 10:19:09 PM »
Congrats to Scot on a well played series. I had a tremendous amount of fun being in the league but as you all know I have to leave due to time constraints. Winning the WS one year, losing the WS in one year and being 2 games away from the WS in another year isn't too bad if I do say so myself. Its been real fun time and good luck to all in the future.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • EC
  • Hall of Famer
Game 7 World Series
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2004 11:13:58 AM »
Thanks for the congratulations, Doug. And congratulations to you on another fine season, and a pretty impressive 3 year run in DMBO.

I knew I was in trouble when you beat Pedro in game 1 - I was really counting on taking that game. And then to go down 3-1? It was a longshot for the Jays, but they somehow managed to pull it off. Looks like my decision to start Alvarez over Nomo or Ohka for game 7 was the wrong decision, but luckily for me my offense and bullpen bailed me out.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

Robb

Game 7 World Series
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2004 12:32:18 PM »
Blue Jays erase 3 games to 1 deficit to win the World Series

The 2004 World Series boiled down to 1 game in Houston, with both teams less than 100% confident in their starting pitcher.  The visiting Blue Jays sent Wilson Alvarez to the mound, despite the Astros hammering left handed pitching all season long.  The Astros, on the other hand, sent Roy Oswalt to the mound on 3 days’ rest for the 2nd time this series.  Oswalt won game 4 on short rest – could he do it in back to back starts?

The Blue Jays struck first.  Leadoff hitter Orlando Hudson reached on a throwing error by Desi Relaford, putting him at 2nd base with no outs.  Bill Mueller drove him in with a double and was followed by a Bobby Abreu single.  Jeff Bagwell hit into a double play, but another run still scored.  Capping off the inning was a Vernon Wells home run, his 2nd of the series, giving the Jays an early 3-0 lead.

The Astros likewise started off the game by scoring runs, but a harbinger of things to come led off the bottom of the inning.  Luis Castillo led off the inning with a single, but pulled up limp crossing 1st base.  He had to be removed from the game with the injury, exposing the shallow Houston bench.  The Astros had decided not to carry a backup infielder on their World Series roster, thus decisions had to be made.  Phil Garner, never one to shy away from questionable decisions, moved Desi Relaford to 2nd base, and inserted J.T. Snow at 3rd.  

Trailing 3-0 with the pinch running Snow at 1st, the Astros did not give up.  Shannon Stewart coaxed a walk out of Alvarez before Mike Sweeney drove in Snow with a 1 out single.  Jorge Posada drew the 2nd walk of the inning to load the bases before Larry Walker drove a ball over the head of Mike Cameron, putting 3 runs across the plate with a triple to give the Astros the lead and put the fans in a frenzy.  The new 2nd baseman Relaford padded the lead by a run with a single to send the game to the next inning with Houston up 5-3.

Neither team scored in the 2nd inning, and the Jays stranded Bagwell at 1st in the 3rd after he led off the inning with a single.  In the bottom of the frame, the Astros started off the inning with back to back singles, chasing Alvarez out of the game and putting the season into the hands of the Toronto bullpen.  Tomo Ohka got Larry Walker to hit a ground ball to 2nd base, but the Blue Jays could not turn the double play, putting runners at 1st and 3rd with just 1 out.  However, Ohka struck out Relaford and got Barry Larkin to fly out to right, ending the inning with the game still within reach.

In the 4th inning, Roy Oswalt was obviously pitching on fumes.  He walked Orlando Cabrera to lead off the inning on 4 straight pitches before getting Ohka to fly out to center field.  Oswalt then hit Hudson with a pitch and with 2 outs gave up a 3 run shot to Abreu, putting the Blue Jays up 6-5.  With the lead gone, the Astros surprisingly went to the Game 5 loser Jeff Suppan out of the pen.  Suppan entered the game with an 0-2 record in the series and a 14.85 ERA.  The gamble paid off in the 4th as he got Bagwell to strike out to end the inning.

Neither team scored again until the Blue Jays half of the 6th inning.  With Suppan still in the game, pinch hitter Juan Rivera hit a 1 out single, which was followed by 2 more singles from Hudson and Mueller, loading the bases.  Abreu followed with the 4th consecutive single of the inning, driving in Rivera.  However, Hudson was gunned down at the plate for the 2nd out of the inning.  Desi Relaford’s 2nd error of the game loaded the bases for the Jays again, but Suppan got Vernon Wells to pop out to 2nd to end the inning with the damage minimized.  The Blue Jays lead was now 7-5, and they only needed 12 outs from their outstanding bullpen.  

Tom Gordon pitched the 6th and 7th innings for Toronto, giving up just 1 single and striking out 3 batters.  That left the Astros with 2 innings to score at least 2 runs to tie the game.  With LaTroy Hawkins taking the mound for his 2nd inning of work, the Blue Jays almost scored an insurance run.  J.T. Snow misplayed a Mueller ground ball, allowing him to reach with 2 outs.  Abreu followed with a walk, before Hawkins struck out Lopez to end the inning.  The Jays went with Jay Witasick who retired Relaford before giving up a single to Larkin, forcing Toronto to bring in Chad Cordero with a runner on and 1 out.  Cordero got Greg Colbrunn and Snow to fly out to end the inning, putting the win within reach.

The Astros brought in Chad Bradford to pitch the 9th, and he promptly gave up a home run to Wells, his 2nd of the day, giving the Blue Jays a 3 run cushion.  Bradford did not give up another run in the inning, but the damage was done.  The Astros were down to their last 3 outs, needing at least 3 runs to keep the championship alive.

Shannon Stewart gave the home crowd some hope to lead off the inning, getting a double.  Lance Berkman, perhaps in his last game as an Astro, grounded out to 1st base, moving Stewart over to 3rd.  Sweeney then popped out to 1st, followed by a Jorge Posada routine fly ball to centerfield.  Cameron caught the ball, then flung his hat into the air as the Toronto Blue Jays brought the World Championship back to Toronto.  Final Score – Toronto 8, Houston 5.

World Series MVP

Bobby Abreu, Right Fielder, Toronto Blue Jays

Abreu led all players with 10 RBI’s in the 7 game series.  He hit .321 with a .387 OBP, .536 SLG, and a 923 OPS.  He also hit 2 home runs, drew 3 walks, and scored 3 runs.

Honorable Mention

Toronto Bullpen

Tom Gordon, Damaso Marte, Tomo Ohka, Jay Witasick, and Chad Cordero combined to pitch 17.1 shutout innings in the World Series.  As a group, they had 1 win, 2 saves, and 3 holds.  They also only allowed 10 hits and 3 walks over that time span, striking out 13 batters.