Author Topic: Tier 2 signings discussion  (Read 10049 times)

Indians RH (Ret)

• Randy Haase
  • Hall of Famer
Tier 2 signings discussion
« Reply #60 on: 1 Mar 2007 5:21:13 PM »
Quote from: "sabers35"
I'm guessing that Tracy was going after different starting pitchers than Maddux, but just came up short in the bidding.

It wasn't the best option in the world, because he gave up a couple of picks, but adding Maddux definitely solidifies his rotation:

Bonderman
Penny
Maddux
Suppan
Lowry

It's not flashy, but it's definitely solid.

Oh, I don't disagree.  It's a definite upgrade, and not a bad rotation at all.  I would have hesitated to give up the picks for a guy that was available to anyone that wanted him a week ago.  

Tracy's a good GM, though....... his record speaks for itself.   I wasn't trying to imply that it was a stupid move............   just not the type that I would make (which may be why I was on the ouside of the playoffs looking in last year  :lol: ).
INDIANS GM (Retired)

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #61 on: 1 Mar 2007 5:25:47 PM »
Oh, I don't disagree. It's a definite upgrade, and not a bad rotation at all. I would have hesitated to give up the picks for a guy that was available to anyone that wanted him a week ago.

I can relate to Tracy. I feel that he and I are locked in a bad case of mutually assured destruction. We're both trying so hard to be the top team NOW that we've massively hocked the future to do so, and while the 2 of us have been banging heads, the Yankees have quietly assembled what might be the best team in the east, and the Red Sox and DRays have greatly improved as well. The AL East is going to be a bloodbath in 2007, and it could well mark the beginning of a new world order in the east. I think the Orioles and Blue Jays are going to fall fast and hard, with the only question being whether it'll be this year, or next year, or maybe the year after.

On the other hand, pennants fly forever. So if you are in a position to win now, you're almost obligated to take it.

Scot.
AL East champion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2016
AL Champion 2003, 2004, 2006
WS champion 2004, 2006

jim(d-rays)

« Reply #62 on: 1 Mar 2007 5:42:43 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"
Oh, I don't disagree. It's a definite upgrade, and not a bad rotation at all. I would have hesitated to give up the picks for a guy that was available to anyone that wanted him a week ago.

I can relate to Tracy. I feel that he and I are locked in a bad case of mutually assured destruction. We're both trying so hard to be the top team NOW that we've massively hocked the future to do so, and while the 2 of us have been banging heads, the Yankees have quietly assembled what might be the best team in the east, and the Red Sox and DRays have greatly improved as well. The AL East is going to be a bloodbath in 2007, and it could well mark the beginning of a new world order in the east. I think the Orioles and Blue Jays are going to fall fast and hard, with the only question being whether it'll be this year, or next year, or maybe the year after.

On the other hand, pennants fly forever. So if you are in a position to win now, you're almost obligated to take it.

Scot.

that quote about the yankees is pretty accurate, I just looked at their roster yesterday and couldn't believe some of the players on there, I know with their payroll they could afford to take on guys overpaid contracts, but outside of shannon stewart and maybe Vlad I don't see ridiculous contracts.

rotation of Carpenter, Webb, Oswalt, Reyes and woody williams (costing roughly 13.5mil)

add in an everyday lineup of Howard, Polanco, Furcal, Mora, Vlad, Holliday and Stewart (which is eating a lot of payroll but they can afford it) and you have a pretty strong(understatement) team. And outside of some of the pitchers, I pretty much missed most of those acquisitions.

Looks like I'll be once again in 4th or 5th place.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #63 on: 1 Mar 2007 5:47:43 PM »
My pitching isn't anywhere near as good as the Yankees, but I'm hoping that I'll more than make up that difference with the offense. The Yankees lineup is 2 stars (Guerrero and Howard) and a bunch of decent (not good, not bad) hitters. Offensively, I'm weak behind the plate, and only mediocre offensively in the middle infield, but I think I'll have better-than-average to excellent hitting everywhere else (Drew, Bonds, Konerko, Branyan, Cameron in the heart of the order). Lots of high scoring games in Toronto this year, I think.

Scot.
WS champion 2004, 2006

Orioles TK

• Tracy Kienast
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
« Reply #64 on: 1 Mar 2007 6:14:16 PM »
When it came time to bid on Maddux(trying to remember my days) I believe I had the choice of Maddux or Glavine.  I saw the day 1 bid on Maddux being low and figured he would get a decent counter and my bidding record has not looked good this offseason so I went after Glavine.  I was hoping Glavine would also have either no offers the next day or have a similar offer to Maddux.  I missed and then again missed on the 2nd day of Glavine.  The only SP I was able to get a high bid on was Igawa on day 1 and then felt that the bidding war went to high for me.  Hindsight being what it is I would have stayed in the bidding war a little longer but....

I didn't like any of my options for my #5 SP that I had in house and felt I had to look outside the organization.  I feel I overpaid, but... as Scot said I feel I have 07' and maybe 08' to still make a run at it and then I may be in full rebuild(hate to say that).  I'm hoping that when it happens I don't hit rock bottom but we will see.  

Maybe I can pull off what Doug did w/ LA and be right back in it.  I'm amazed at what he has done w/ his team considering he was selling at midseason last year.

Tracy
AL Wildcard 2003, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2018
AL East Champion 2008, 2009
WS Champ 2018

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #65 on: 1 Mar 2007 6:26:33 PM »
I could see saying he overpaid if I hadn't sent 6.25mil with Maddux.  But, if you look at it like I "bought" one of the picks for 6.25mil (over paid) then it's just Maddux for Fields and a pick.  

I think it's an even deal where both teams get what they need at the moment.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

Pirates AR

• Atticus Ryan
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Exec Comm
    • A Personal Journey Through Time
« Reply #66 on: 1 Mar 2007 6:28:43 PM »
Quote from: "M's GM"
That sucks, I gave up on Traschel cause I thought I had a deal for Maddux.

I made a counter to your offer, however, you were asking me to include a pick in the deal.  The counter I sent you wasn't very close to the deal you sent, and assumed you wouldn't accept.  The Orioles original offer was much closer to what I was looking for.  

Anyhow, sorry if you felt used.  But, when there's no done deal, I have to take what's best for the team.
Atticus Ryan
General Manager, Pittsburgh Pirates
Site Administrator (SimplePortal and SMF)

Ne Ruinis, Aliquando Prosperum Inmensa

jim(d-rays)

« Reply #67 on: 1 Mar 2007 6:36:05 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"
My pitching isn't anywhere near as good as the Yankees, but I'm hoping that I'll more than make up that difference with the offense. The Yankees lineup is 2 stars (Guerrero and Howard) and a bunch of decent (not good, not bad) hitters. Offensively, I'm weak behind the plate, and only mediocre offensively in the middle infield, but I think I'll have better-than-average to excellent hitting everywhere else (Drew, Bonds, Konerko, Branyan, Cameron in the heart of the order). Lots of high scoring games in Toronto this year, I think.

Scot.

You don't think of Holliday as a star? 139 OPS+ last year, 114 year before going into his 27 age season? sure he has some risk with both Polanco and Mora having down years last year but still should both post above average(relative to position) ops. Agreed your offense is better and since this is a sim health issues that plague Bonds, Drew, Branyan have a lot less chance of affecting them

Angels PH

• Patrick Haight
  • All-Star
« Reply #68 on: 1 Mar 2007 9:39:00 PM »
Quote from: "sabers35"
As for Trachsel...it's definitely more than I wanted to pay, but it's only for this year, so it won't handicap my future at all.  And...after several failed attempts, I finally got the 6th starter I wanted to protect from injury.

I needed depth to keep up with the Angels, and now I won't be AS concerned if someone goes down.

For what I've heard you have had a very strong grasp on this division for a long time.  I'm just as nervous about you and the Mariners.  I might have depth, but you certainly have the big horses that can each win 15-20 this year.  I think it will be a dog fight this year no matter what.  I just have to hope that I made the moves that will help more then hurt.

As for the Maddox deal I thought it was a good one.  He's a great #5 (thats already paid for) that rounds out that rotation very well.   The pirates got the picks....I'm not high on Banks, but he basically got 3 players for Cash.  Good deal for both teams... they both got what they needed.  Hell, I was thinking about offering up the same deal for Hoffman, until I realized I don't really have room.

As for Holiday he's a great player and should produce, but I'm not sure he's a star.  Yes, he had a great season and wil produce nicly in sim this year, but his K to walk ratio scares me, plus that fact he never really produced unitl he got to coors.  I would still love him on my team, but I felt that Teixeira should be the better player going forward..
2007 & 2008 American League West Champs

Robb

« Reply #69 on: 1 Mar 2007 9:40:54 PM »
The A's have had the most wins in the AL every year of our league, and if I'm not mistaken, they've only not been in first place for a total of 1 week over the past 5 seasons.

So.....yes, the A's have had a strangle hold and then some!

Angels PH

• Patrick Haight
  • All-Star
« Reply #70 on: 1 Mar 2007 9:44:18 PM »
Quote from: "Robb"
The A's have had the most wins in the AL every year of our league, and if I'm not mistaken, they've only not been in first place for a total of 1 week over the past 5 seasons.

So.....yes, the A's have had a strangle hold and then some!

Maybe the Mariners and I will knock them off the top spotfor 2 weeks this year!!!  You have to start somewhere.
2007 & 2008 American League West Champs

Robb

« Reply #71 on: 1 Mar 2007 9:51:43 PM »
His competition appears to be getting there.  Heck, with the blood-letting I'm expecting in the AL East, you never know - a wild card could come out of the West.

Athletics GAT

• G. Alex Tays
  • Financial Model Working Group
  • All-Star
  • I've got a bad case of the yips.
« Reply #72 on: 2 Mar 2007 8:09:51 AM »
I think there are a few teams throughout the AL that are making a big push to be in the playoff mix this year.

I really thought the Angels would be competitive last year, but they ran into a ton of bad luck.  This year, I think we'll have an all-out pennant race.  The Mariners, with a couple of breaks, could also be in the mix.

I'll tell you...it's fun spending so much time in first place, but it can become a bit monotonous at times too.  Each year, I've ended up dozing through the last couple of months of the regular season just waiting for the playoffs.

I think it will be more fun to be involved in a pennant race.  I've really spent this offseason trying to match some of the strength that the Angels have at certain positions.  I've already mentioned the signing of a 6th starter...and the Stephen Drew deal was important to me because the Angels have such a strong young infield (Teixeira, Uggla, H. Ramirez, Teahen).

One never knows what might happen though.  I really thought the Yankees had a nice roster last year, but too many players underperformed.  This year, they look really tough again...and it better pan out, because they're going to lose a big part of that talent base to free agency after this season.

Good luck to all!

M's GM

« Reply #73 on: 2 Mar 2007 8:22:03 AM »
Quote from: "Pirates"
Quote from: "M's GM"
That sucks, I gave up on Traschel cause I thought I had a deal for Maddux.

I made a counter to your offer, however, you were asking me to include a pick in the deal.  The counter I sent you wasn't very close to the deal you sent, and assumed you wouldn't accept.  The Orioles original offer was much closer to what I was looking for.  

Anyhow, sorry if you felt used.  But, when there's no done deal, I have to take what's best for the team.

No problem, there is no way I could have given you the same deal he did.

Blue Jays SH

• Scot Hughes
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #74 on: 2 Mar 2007 11:27:07 AM »
I was happy to get Phelps back. He's fallen on soem hard times in real life after a promising beginning to his career. But he had a pretty impressive season in AAA last year, including absolutely killing LHP. I was looking for a platoon partner for Ryan Church, and I think Phelps should do pretty well in that role. And the fans in Toronto are happy to have Phelps back, since he was a key part to the 2003 and 2004 AL champions.

Looks like we're all scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find some hidden gems. The end of tier 2 is near, I think. While I didn't get all of the guys I wanted, I'm happy with how it went, overall.

How long until the season starts? :)

Scot.
WS champion 2004, 2006